cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec SAN shared option / solution design

Nitish_R
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I am planning to use backup exec SAN shared storage option to backup the servers directly to tape.

I have the following environment
5 servers under VMware HA
1 SAN
2 san Switches
1 backup Exec Server
1 FC tape Library

My question is:
does the backup exec server have to be connected to the san switch as well?
or a nectwork connection to the tape library would be enough.
will backup exec be able to discover and manage the FC drive by the network connection? San Storage Option

11 REPLIES 11

klauskresnik
Employee Accredited Certified
The Backup Exec 2010 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure offers following backup options:

Lets you select the method to transport the Virtual Machine Disk Format (VMDK) file from the ESX server.
You must select at least one of these options. If you select more than one option, the method is determined by the priority and the resources that are available. You can move the options up or down in the list to change the priority.

The following methods are available:
SAN - Use the SAN to move virtual disk data.
If you select this option, the virtual machine must reside on a SAN that the media server can access. With this transport mode, the data is offloaded to the media server, so that the ESX server is not affected.

NBD - Do not encrypt the virtual disk data for over-the-network transfers
Use this option if you do not use SSL for security and one of the following conditions exist:
The virtual machine is not located on the SAN.
The media server does not have access to the SAN. The data is placed on the ESX server. Then, the data moves across the network.

NBDSSL - Encrypt virtual disk data for over-the-network transfers
Use this option if you use SSL for security and one of the following conditions exist:
The virtual machine is not located on the SAN.
The media server does not have access to the SAN.

Hotadd - Use virtual disk files from the Backup Exec server on the virtual machine
Use this option if you want to use the hot add feature for ESX.
See your VMware documentation for more information about hot add. The snapshot is placed on the ESX server. Then, the data moves across the network. The VMDK file is not backed up if the virtual

And other options too...

Nitish_R
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The servers have the following agents as well :
SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 SERVER on the backup exec server
SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 AGENT FOR VMWARE on the vmware servers

hansdeleenheer
Level 4

my comments were not correct.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
As long as the tape drive is in the Windows Device Manager, BE will be able to use it. 

hansdeleenheer
Level 4
so in his design, the BE server would still need FC access to the Library/SAN ?

klauskresnik
Yes, the BE Server must have FC connection to the Library/SAN to run LAN free backups.

klauskresnik
BTW the SSO option is only required when you have more then 1 BE Media Server and they share a tape library. That means also that you can run a SAN backup without having the SSO option.
The SSO Option only ensures that not multiple BE Media Server can use at the same moment the same device.

hansdeleenheer
Level 4
which means that the data traffic goes from the client to the server to the library over the FC network and if I do not want it to go this way but straight from client to tape (or other SAN resource) you need to install a full BE server on the client and use the SSO? Just to be sure ('cause I'll have such a project in a short while too)

Girish_N_
Level 3
Partner Accredited

you have to connect BE server to FC swith, you dont need SSO.
BE server should be able to see your datastore to do a LAN free backup and you require Backup Exec 2010 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
If you have multiple drives in your library you will need a Library Option license for each extra tapedrive in the library.
The first drive in the library is licensed with the BE Media server.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Quite correct...every server attached to the SAN that you want to have accessing the FC-attached tape library needs a full installation of BE with all the necessary agents.