cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec SBS 2008 with SBS in hyper-v guest

Rufguy
Level 3

I'm a longtime user of BE for SBS and am currently in maintenance for the product on 2 servers.

We are moving to SBS 2008 Premium. A supported, designed, and intended way to use this product is to install SBS 2008 in to a Hyper-v guest with another hyper-v guest for SQL and other LOB apps.

I understand that backing up to tape is impossible if the backup software is installed in the guest due to the SCSI limitations of hyper-v.

A search of the web and these forums suggests that I cannot use BE SBS anymore and instead must use standard BE (installed on the host) with the appropriate agents. Is this true?

If so, is there an upgrade path? Again, the above described install of SBS 2008 is supported, designed, and intended so why shouldn't us current BE SBS users be allowed to continue to use the SBS product? Just not right.

If it's not true and the current version of BE SBS is supported in the above described install of SBS, please advise on how that works.

Thanks,

John

3 REPLIES 3

slypig
Not applicable
I am having the same trouble as a reseller. I have to now charge my clients hundreds more for the same functionality. As you said, this is a supported and recomended solution from Microsoft.

The furthest I have gotten is them admitting that they have to do something about licensing, but nothing beyond that.

And I can see from the flurry of responses you have recieved, they are right on top of it.

If this isn't resolved, guess we will be reselling other backup solutions.

Mark_Smyh
Not applicable
Partner
Has anyone got any news on Symantec's take on this? Is the next version of Backup Exec going to resolve the solution or have Symantec made a statement regarding this?

RSOLY777
Level 3
This is a good question I would think Symantec would engineer a special price for customers using a solution such as this but you are kind of taking the SBS Solution and expanding it into an enterprise solution by splitting up the services like that even if they are running in VM's. I can see why Symantec has the solution set the way it is so they do not loose money by people mis-using the software. You can however do daily checkpoints to your VM's and back those up along with the VM base, I have found this works quite well.