Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec SQL Job Queued up for Long Time

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All, 

We have issue with SQL backup where the backup hungs in the ququed forever, Can someone guide me to troubleshoot this ? As i also have another SQL as same as this server but the SQL backups on those servers are running fine.

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If a Windows Copy doesn't work, then the issue is definitely outside BE or even SQL for that matter and is network related.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check that there are no outstanding alerts to respond to

VJware
Level 6

Is there any alert which requires a response to ?

If the option to run consistency check is enabled in the backup job, disable it and check.

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Vjware, 

I have responded OK to all the alerts and also where i can find the consistency check to disable ?

Thanks,

Nayab

VJware
Level 6

Edit the backup job settings and choose the Microsoft SQL option on the left side. On the right side, the consistency option will be present.

Amd what kind of alert was present ? Was it an insert overwritable media alert ?

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I dont see a MS SQL tab there all i see is ORACLE , BARCODE RULES, LIVEUPDATE, REPORTS, DBA-INITIATED Job Settings etc............, May be its been changed in BE'15 ??????

nurgul
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I was same problem. I unchecked Advanced Open File option and sql backups worked. Can you try and update me please.

VJware
Level 6

Did you edit the backup job ? The tabs which you are mentioning is available from global Backup Exec settings and not by editing the backup job itself.

Disabling AOFO for SQL backup as suggested by nrgl is worth a try as well.

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VjWare, 

oops ! , Yeah i can see the setting from editing the backup job itself and i have disabled it, And alerts are backup failure alerts we dont have the media overwritable alert as this is a new setup and we have only disk backups no tape backup .

Nrgl, 

i have already disabled the AOFO,

Thanks,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have SQL backupn ongoing for this server which is queued and i have cancelled it long back but i still see it showing as CANCEL PENDING , Is there a way to cancel it immediately ? 

VJware
Level 6

A forceful way to cancel it immediately would be to restart all BE services.

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Vjware, 

Thanks so much now i can see my backup kick started immediatley ,and may i know what is this consistency check and what is the role of this in the backup ? Will it affect anything or any impact during restoration if i disable it ? 

Thanks,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VJware
Level 6

Yes, you are right.

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Vjware, 

Sorry the backup failed with the same error :( , Can guide me troubleshoot further ?

Thanks,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Error:- 0xeOOO84f8 - The network connection to the backup exec remote agent has been lost check for network errors

Final Error Category : Resource errors

VJware
Level 6
Was there any byte count ? If yes, then at least the job moved past the queued status to a running backup. Check if there is any event id 1000 mentioning a beremote crash or not. If running any AV, set it to exclude from scanning the BE processes. Do you receive this error while backing up ONLY the SQL databases or any resource (like C:\) of this remote server ? If the latter, then the troubleshooting is not be focused on SQL related. This generic KB may help as well - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH89277.html

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VjWare, 

I see the backup failing only for SQL on this server as the FILESYSTEMS backups were successful and i see no event ID 1000 from the logs , I have now excluded the below services/Files from the AV will try running the backup jobs again , But i have same 5 SQL servers all of them has same configurations i am wondering how come only these two server backup failing :(

Exclude the following files folders from AV Sacn on the machines:
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\benetns.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvlsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkUpexec.exe

On the remote servers Exclude:
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
 Backup Exec AOFO Stores folder on all the Drives on all the Servers

Thanks,

Nayab

VJware
Level 6

If only SQL DB resource backup is failing and not file system data of the same server, then its most likely not a network issue.

Was there any byte count in the backup job ?

Any relevant errors/warnings under the SQL servers' event viewer ?

Are remote connections to the SQL instance enabled ? (Such as TCP/IP and Named Pipes)

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I can see there is byte count showing backup was running for quite sometime but failed after backing up some data and i really wonder i donot find any of the error related to BE in the SQL LOG's