cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Server Service won't start after latest LiveUpdate run

jonathan_sumral
Level 2
Certified

Has anyone else experienced after updating to the latest push from LiveUpdate for BackupExec 2014 the BackupExec Server service not starting?  I thought at first it was an issue isolated to one of my servers but it seems that the same issue has arisen after another site ran LiveUpdate and is experiencing the same issue.  I'm running Backup Exec 2014 on Windows Server 2012 R2.  Everything has been running fine prior to the LiveUpdate.  Any response or help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I've had something similar when updating between versions of BE 2010. I got this fixed by doing 1 of the following:

1. Opening up BEutility.exe and running a repair of the BEDB.

2. Running a repair of the application through Add/Remove Programs.

You should also make sure that the SQL service for BE is started up.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV

Hi,

I've had something similar when updating between versions of BE 2010. I got this fixed by doing 1 of the following:

1. Opening up BEutility.exe and running a repair of the BEDB.

2. Running a repair of the application through Add/Remove Programs.

You should also make sure that the SQL service for BE is started up.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Using the Task Manager, check if there are any instances of lugetupdates.exe

If yes, end this process and check if the BE services start up properly or not.

Ethan_C
Level 2

I am having the same issue. Symantec support had me modify domain policy for the objects listed in BEUtility, but still the issue persists. Any ideas??

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Check the Eventlog to see what are the error messages pertaining to the BE services

2) Check that the service for the BE SQL instance BKUPEXEC is started

3) Use BEUtility to re-enter the BESA.

jonathan_sumral
Level 2
Certified

Thanks for everyone's input on this.  I've managed to get it working after a complete uninstall and reinstall and using BEUtility to import the database.  Afterwards I ran BEMig from Powershell and everything seems to be functioning now.

Ethan_C
Level 2

Jonathan.sumrall1,

Was the resolution offered by Symantec support?

My issue is I can manually start services, but they don't auto start. In the event log for BE services I get this error: "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

BE sql instance starts and BESA account is updated and has not changed, but still services do not start automatically.

CraigV

...are your services set to start automatically?

Ethan_C
Level 2

yes, they are all set to start automatically....

dss_thinktank
Level 4

I had same issue with "BackupExec 2014" at some point after I had applied hotfix 218257. I had to restart server and after that stop/start of BE services has been succesfull (installation is in Windows Server 2008 R2)

You could even try "shutdown server" / "start server" because somethimes just doing plain "restart" won't do all the things identically.