cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Server Won't Start

mmpcns
Level 3

Hello -

My Backup Exec 2010 R3 on Microsoft SBS 2011 Server has been running fine till about a week ago. Since then, I can not get the Backup Server to "Start".

Here is what the Event Viewer comes up with :

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Backup Exec
Date:          6/16/2016 7:03:56 AM
Event ID:      57802
Task Category: (65535)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      SERVER.company.local
Description:
The Backup Exec Server Service did not start.  An internal error (10) occurred in object 13.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Backup Exec" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="8192">57802</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>65535</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-16T14:03:56.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>4880378</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>SERVER.company.local</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>10</Data>
    <Data>13</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

No matter what I have tried, I can not get the Backup Exec Server to start. Since it will not start, I can't get into the Backup Exec Application at all. The only thing I can get into is the "Connect to Media Server" dialog box and from there, I can stop all services and restart them. When I triy to restart them, I receive the following error message ;

Start services on server: SERVER
Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems on SERVER
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems has been started on SERVER
Starting Backup Exec Device & Media Service on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on SERVER.
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Starting Backup Exec Server on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on SERVER.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Job Engine on SERVER.

Starting Backup Exec Agent Browser on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Agent Browser on SERVER.

Starting Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on SERVER.

Starting Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service on SERVER.

Start services on server SERVER completed.

Processing services completed!

Can anyone help me on this issue? I've been fighting this thing for a week and no answers at all on the web, or in the forums.

Thank you for any and all assistance on this issue.

18 REPLIES 18

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check these:

1. The BE service account used to start up the services isn't locked out;

2. Make sure the SQL service is started up first;

3. Open up BEutility.exe and run a BEDB repair of the BEDB. It doesn't make any changes.

Thanks!

mmpcns
Level 3

Ok -

I performed what you asked above and after running the BEDB repair I received the following ;

Starting database repair.
Stopping Services
Stopping services for server:SERVER.
Server:SERVER, Service:BackupExecAgentBrowser stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:SERVER, Service:BackupExecJobEngine stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:SERVER, Service:BackupExecRPCService stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:SERVER, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService stopped successfully or was not running.
Stopping services for server SERVER completed.
Performing repair for BEDB database.
Error: The data repair operation failed.
Starting Services
Database repair for server SERVER ended with errors.

I tried restarting the Backup Exec but still unable to start the Backup Exec Server.

The SQL server is up and running.

mmpcns
Level 3

Hello -

Is there anybody out there that has a solution?

We have not been able to backup for two weeks.

EliasA
Community Manager
Community Manager
Employee CPEP

Did the logon account change, permissions change, or service account associated with Backup Exec change?
Simply asking due to the error you are hitting:
"Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on SERVER.
The service did not start due to a logon failure. "

One other article I found related to the error message, you may want to check this:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH178491

mmpcns
Level 3

Thank you for the responce.

Been there, done that. The ".DLL" is in the correct location and the registry is pointing to it.

I am in the Backup Exec Utility console. The account used for BE is a special account with all the correct permissions assigned to it. It has been working with no issues. Then two weeks ago, the BE server sevice stopped starting. Nothing has been changed.

Today, I even went into "Symantec Backup Exec Utility" console, ran the "Change Service Account" just to verify all the information is correct and while in the Utility console, I then clicked on the "Start Services". This is the message I received ;

"Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on SERVER.

Starting Services
Starting services for server:SERVER.
Server:SERVER, Service:BackupExecAgentAccelerator started successfully.
Server:SERVER, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService failed to start.
Error: (1068) - The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting services for server SERVER completed with errors.
Operation to start services completed."

When I try to start all the services, I still receive the following ;

"Processing services

Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems on SERVER.
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems is already running on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on SERVER.

Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on SERVER.

Error starting the service Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on SERVER.

The service Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service is already running on SERVER.
Start services on server SERVER completed.

Processing services completed!"

Once again, the "u2lbe9_en.dll " is in its proper location and the registry is pointing to that location.

This "DLL" can't be the only posted reponse to this issue. I find it hard to believe that no one else has had this problem with BE. Again, we have not been able to back up for over two weeks and all I keep finding are the same old postings pointing to the same old answers that either don't apply to my version, server OS or issue. There has to be other fixes that work other than the "DLL" or permissions assigned to the BE user account.

Again, this BE has been working fine for 4 years till two weeks ago.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The Device and Media Service is dependent on the service for the SQL instance (default BKUPEXEC)

Is this service starting OK?

mmpcns
Level 3

Thank you for your response.

No, the SQL Service (BKUPEXEC) will not start.

The attached file has the error message.

The error message states "The error 1069 : The service did not start due to a logon failure".

The user account assigned to BE has been the same for 6 years. No one has changed it or modified it in any way.

mmpcns
Level 3

Update :

I went into the Services.msc and on the "service for the SQL instance (default BKUPEXEC)" and I reset the password for the user account. The "MSSQL$BKUPEXEC" successfully started.

I then went to the BE service dialog box, reset the user account and password on the user account that was assigned to the BE to run. I then stopped all BE services and then restarted them.

Below is the same error message I started out with :

"Processing services

Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems on SERVER.
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems has been started on SERVER.
The service Backup Exec Device & Media Service has been started on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on SERVER.  Error code returned:

The service Backup Exec DLO Administration Service has been started on SERVER.
The service Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service has been started on SERVER.
Start services on server SERVER completed.

Processing services completed!"

So we are back to square one.

mmpcns
Level 3

Hello,

Is there anyone in this forum?

Is there anyone in this forum that can help me at all?

Does Veritas have a forum where a client can get some help from?

CraigV

Nobody responded because for the past 6 days Veritas's forums have been read-only pending an (unsuccessful!) cutover to a new platform called Vox...

If our suggestions haven't been able to help you fix your issue, then I'd subbest logging a call with Veritas themselves to take a look and fix it.

Thanks!

mmpcns
Level 3

What is VOX...?

I know it as an amplifier company. I tried searching Vox... and it leads me to other sites, nothing to do with Veritas software.

I apologize for not knowing about Vox...

mmpcns
Level 3

So it has become apparent that no one in this forum can help me at all. We are going on a month with no backups. The software companies support website is unable to provide any solutions for me to try except for the two that I'm constantly being directed to. Whether in this forum, or other forums in Veritas that I am being directed to when researching a solution by searching the Internet along with this forum doing searches myself. I am amazed that these two solutions, which for others did not resolve the exact issues, seems to be the go to fixes that Veritas support keep implying is the solution.

I wish not to offend anyone, so I appologize if that is how this sounds. I am frustrated that not only can I get any other solutions to examin or try, but Veritas support site is a total let down. It takes days, week(s) to get a response from anyone (that I would suspect are Veritas support team(s)) and it is the same links that I have clearly stated I have tried and they did not resolve a thing.

A previous post told me to go to "Vox...". I asked what is "Vox..." since the only Vox I know builds amplifiers. So you mean to tell me that if I go to "Vox.com" and from there to the support site and then select an ampifier (like the Vox VX Series) I will get some possible solution(s) for Veritas Backup Exec v2010 R3?

I am begging for help here.

CraigV

You need to go back and read my statement very carefully and you will see I mentioned that the forums were read-only pending an (unsuccessful) cutover to Vox which is the new Veritas platform. In no way did I point you to that...you won't get there. I've also been on leave, hence 3 days between posting.

I can only suggest escalating the call higher up the list of support which is something I did regularily if I wasn't happy with an issue being resolved by someone who knew less than me.

Or contact 1 of the Veritas employees here via PM.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Contrary to your expectations, this Forum and its successor, VOX (Veritas Open Exchange), is user supported and help is provided on a best effort basis.  Nobody, including Veritas staff, is obligated to answer any query or solve any problem.  Also, some problems require additional investigations, like looking at dumps, which is not possible on the Forum. For urgent or critical problems/queries, you should log a formal support case with Veritas by calling your local Veritas support hotline or logging into myVeritas.com.  You would need a current support licence to open a support case.  If you do not have such a licence, I believe you can pay per call.

As an aside, you should be planning to upgrade your BE to the latest version which is BE 15.  For BE 2010 R3, the last date you can call support is 1 Feb 2017 which is not too far away.

Devries
Not applicable

We have the same thing in our company, a BE 2010 R3 does not want to make backup since about half of may. Same messages as above. Maybe after some update from Mocrosoft on our Windows Server 2008 R2 ? We now barely manage with the Windows backup but this is far from ideal.

mmpcns
Level 3

Thank you for your post.

I just thought that Veritas's forum was much like Microsoft's, Dell's, HP's, Toshiba's, Intel's (and so on) forums where you can communicate with their technicians and try and resolve issues before making a phone call and running thru all the scripts (since everything is posted in, well, the forum).

My client is screaming to move to Carbonite and I am trying to keep your product in place. All I am asking for is some help here. If you know the answer, I would appreciate them being forward to me. If you don't know the answer, then say so.

With all the other companies listed before, I have never had to make a phone call. I have had the company call me because they needed either access to the device or they just wanted to clear up some questions that they had. Once I had cleared up their questions we were back in the forum, working together.

Myself and my client will be on-site together next week. At that time if this is unresolved, they are yanking it. Once it is pulled, they will be looking at pulling BE off of other servers.

I just thought that you really wanted to keep a client.

P.S.,

See here on your forum, I can upload files so you can see dumps that you stated in your posting can not be done in a forum ("Also, some problems require additional investigations, like looking at dumps, which is not possible on the Forum.").

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Wow! I didn't know that such a Microsoft forum exists.  Can you please post its URL?

mmpcns
Level 3

Sorry for the delay.

If you are a partner with Microsoft, you have a log on account, just like the Veritas account you are required to have here. Once you are logged on at Microsoft, you have access to forum(s) where not only individuals like myself post issues, but there are Microsoft support people watching and helping on these forums. You might have to wait a day for them to respond but they will resond all the while you are receiving posts from ordinary people. I have a post going on right now about a Windows 10 Upgrade issue and have received more responses in the past 24 hours than I have received from my postings here for the past month.

Same goes with Intel, Dell and so on and so on.