cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this .....

Mark_Littell
Level 4
I get an event ID of 7034 which states: "The Backup Exec Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this # time(s)"
Let me try and expand on this issue:
I have a CASO Server (lets call it # 1) that controls the backup jobs for itself and three other media servers (called # 2, # 3, and # 4)
Each server runs nightly jobs.
For the past week or two, 5 seconds after server # 2 completes a job, whether �completed� or �failed�, I get the error �The Backup Exec Server service terminated unexpectedly� on the CASO server.
When I start the service in control panel / services the service will terminate again. It is not until the second or third time I start the service it stays running. Once running, the job that was running on Media Server # 2 begins processing again. I have to wait until after the job does its pre-processing to cancel.
In the �Job History� section, last nights job is listed as "recovered" in the CASO, but when I connect directly to Media Server # 2 it is listed as �Completed� or �Failed�. It does not matter if the job is �Completed� or �Failed� the CASO always shows �recovered� and Media Server shows the actual result.
I used the BE Utility to �repair� the database on the CASO and Server # 2.
I checked my WMI via Microsoft�s VB script and confirmed there are no issues. There was an issue with Server # 2, and I repaired it.
I am using �Storage media-based catalog�
Media Server # 2 is the last job running from the nightly jobs, it is also the largest and longest run job, about 750 gigs. I have not had any issues with Media Server # 3 or # 4 causing the service to terminate.

All four of my servers are running Version 10.0 Rev 5520 with Hot Fix 15, Service Pack 1, Hot Fix 13, 17, 18, 19, 23, and 22. I am aware Service Pack 2 is out, but did not see any listed fixes for my issue so I am waiting on the maintenance window to deploy. I installed RANT32 on the remote servers by running setupaofo.cmd from the command prompt.

Suggestions?
Comments?
Questions?

Thanks
ML
7 REPLIES 7

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Mark,

A suggestion :

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629 for Windows Servers Installation Files.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

Step by Step installation instructions for the upgrade to Backup Exec 10d from Backup Exec 10.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/281044

And check the performance ...

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Mark_Littell
Level 4
Are you suggesting I upgrade to "Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629"?
That is not possible at this time. I need to fix this issue ASAP.
I am unable to create a Direct Assist ticket because I can't get around the Active X installation issue.

Any other suggestions?
ML

Mark_Littell
Level 4
Since no one had suggestions on how to fix my issue, I phoned tech support. I have been working with one of the tech's for a few days.....
I would like to document our process in hopes of helping someone out in the future.

5/15/06:
Enabled debugging on both servers - HKLM\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\Logging "CreateDebugLog" 0 = off 1 = on
On Media Server # 2
I stopped all BE services then renamed the "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\msgq0000000000.dat" file. I believe this is the file that contains the information to link back to the CASO server.
The job killed the process again, no fix.

5/16/06:
On Media Server # 2
I opened BEUtility and removed server 2 from the CASO group. I then added it back.
I also created a new job duplicating the existing job requirements for server 2 to run.
The job killed the process again, no fix.

ML

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Mark,

Since you have opened a Voice case with our Support we will go ahead and close this Forum.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Mark_Littell
Level 4
Armuta,
you stated:
"Since you have opened a Voice case with our Support we will go ahead and close this Forum."

Is there a way to "close" this forum and still allow me to add information to it in the future.
Please Advise,
ML

Mark_Littell
Level 4
Update:
5/16/06
Sent BEGather files from the CASO and Server # 2 to Veritas Tech.

5/17/06
Server service terminated last night.
Sent Tech debug log from CASO and Server # 2 with the job history log from last night. Did not hear a response from Veritas.

5/18/06
Server # 2 night job did not run.
None of the other jobs that ran last night caused the server service terminated unexpectedly. i.e. the service did NOT stop.
Per Veritas tech, sent them more information from 5/16/06 job.
Received email after work from second level support.

5/19/06
Replied to email received last night.
Tech phoned me less than an hour later.
From CASO server, adjusted "Seconds between sending job status updates" from 10 seconds to 60 seconds.
Stopped and restarted services on all servers.
If job fails tonight, tech suggests upgrading to 10d.

ML

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

thanks for the update!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.