cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Slow to Response then Communication Stalled

FNBR
Level 3
As of 1/14/2010, BE (vers. 11d) takes forever to do anything, then eventually (most of the time) returns with various errors.  The most common error is "Communication Stalled".  Sometimes it gets stuck for so long I have to reset the PC.

We've been using this system for some time, and the only difference is Windows patches that were installed on 1/13/2010.

I found some help guides on your site that suggest pausing the media server and restarting the BE services.  This helped some, and I was able to inventory the drive, as well as do a quick erase provided that I pause/restart EVERY time I do something.  It however has not helped with a backup.

Misc. Info...
Drive is Sony AIT 150 GB SATA using Symantec Driver (dated 3/23/2007, driver version 5.1)

Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

This is an ongoing issue since BE11D, Pause/Unpause is a workaround and a temperary solution. You need to open a case with Symantec support.

FNBR
Level 3
Since the problem started immediately after the latest Windows Updates, I uninstalled them to see if the problem went away.  And sure enough, it did.

I removed Windows Update Patch KB955759, KB972270, KB975364, KB974561 and KB977839.  After rebooting, Backup Exec worked perfectly as it always has.

Is this something that Symantec and Microsoft can resolve?  Or, is there a trust/permission issue related to these Microsoft patches that we can resolve another way?

Please respond because leaving a PC unpatched to run a Symantec product really isn't a solution.

Thx.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi FNBR,

What sort of patch level are you running for BEWS 11D? What SP do you have installed?
Chances are that having the latest SP for BEWS will allow you to install these patches, or at least addresses issues that these patches create...something to read up on.

Laters!

FNBR
Level 3
I'm fully up to date. 

BE 11d
Media Server: v11.0 r7170
Admin Console: v11.0 r7170
Installed Updates: SP4, Hot Fix 16,62,64,63,65+69

Live Update - fully up to date
About - view installed updates - view available updates - nothing available

Again, BE fully up to date and fully patched.  There is something about Microsoft's recent Windows Updates and the Symantec Backup Exec product that is incompatible. 

Is this likely to be addressed and fixed?

FNBR
Level 3
Any update on getting the last batch of Windows Update patches and Backup Exec to coexist?

RHKing
Level 3
Any updates on a fix for this yet?

FNBR
Level 3
RHKing - I haven't received any response from Symantec about a cure.  There are lots of similar posts on the forum, but Symantec seems to always defaults to "hardware".  I don't know how they can dismiss that it started the minute the MS patches were installed, and stops the minute they are uninstalled.

For my own curiousity, did the problem go away as soon as you removed the Microsoft Patches? 

Thx,
FNBR

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Have you considered logging a call with MS to say their patch is breaking Backup Exec?
What OS is this too...?

FNBR
Level 3
Craig,

Have not.  I kind of figured Symantec would be more interested in the problem and would find a solution themselves or with MS.  I did try to find a place on MS's website to make note of the problem, but didn't have any luck.

OS is Win XP Pro.

Thx.

RHKing
Level 3

We are using OS Win 2000 and have not removed any of the MS patches.