cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Software FLAW ! ! ! ! !

Maurice_Bernhar
Level 3
Attention:

Well, once again Symantec has managed to screw up the "Backup Exec" product. I just spent the last two hours resetting the "notification" and "start time" elements for every backup job that I run across my enterprise. As a result of the switch to "eastern standard" time from "daylight savings" time, every job's "notification" option was automatically turned off and every job was set forward by one hour. I find it amazing that every other application and operating system written today has no problem adjusting for this annual occurrence and yet the most current version of "Backup Exec" could fail so miserably.

As this can only be termed a "MAJOR PRODUCT FLAW", your development team may wish to create a priority hot patch or service pack release to correct this STUPID error. I am not sure why, but ever since Symantec took over control of the "Backup Exec" product, the application seems to have become more problematic. Should this trend continue, I may need to research implementing another; less problematic, product for our backup requirements.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This has been a "program feature" since v9.0 (v8.x never had a problem) see the v9.1 forum for several threads on this subject.)

I am not sure why, but ever since Symantec took over control of the "Backup Exec" product, the application seems to have become more problematic

if they still have them on the forum, go back to the time that the announcement that Symantec had aquired BackupExec see how many people were ready at that point to start looking for an alternative

Symantec seems to have inherited this ability to totally F* up a product from CA back in the System 360/370 days. If CA aquired a product ( and they got a LOT of them) it was the kiss of death as far as functionality in the next release

brian_metzger
Not applicable
i have this same issue, however, even after resetting the start time of the backup jobs to the correct time (2200 EST) the jobs still start at 2300 EST. is this the same with you, or are your jobs starting at the correct time for you now?