cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Standard Exclusions

Julie_Barnes
Level 4
I have searched, but was unable to find a list of files that should typically be excluded from Backup Exec jobs. It seems that I have a different number of skipped files every night and when I research, I find that this log or that log SHOULD be skipped as it is open and will be covered in the System State backup. However, I have been unable to find a comprehensive list of these files. Most of the servers I am backing up are W2K3 and I'm running Backup Exec 12.5.

Thanks in advance!

Julie
3 REPLIES 3

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified
If the file is open the backup job will skip the file but if you enable AOFO ( Advanced Open file option ) on the backup job it will process snapshot for open files and will back them up. 

http://support.veritas.com/docs/299396

But if you are using Exchange 2003 then create two jobs one for the drives and system state and enable AOFO on that. Create another job just for Information Store and don't use AOFO for that backup job as there are some limitation of snapshot backup of Exchange 2003 database. Once you turn on AOFO for drive backup then you don't need to worry about exceptions and exclusion.

Note : All the files which are necessary to restore Exchange database ( Only ) are backed up when you select Information Store ( through Exchange agent ) including transaction logs.

Julie_Barnes
Level 4
Thanks, Riyaj. But what I'm really wanting is a list of known files that will be open (such as log files that may or may not be in use at the time of the backup) or a list of known files that don't need to be backed up because they are created dynamically. We aren't running Exchange (yet).

Thanks again!

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no option or utility through backup exec which will provide you the list. You can run a script on the server to find the list of open files :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/feb05/hey0216.mspx

Usually all the system files and program files are in use. But all the system files are backed up in system state backup. For open application open files backup you will need to use AOFO ( Advanced open file option ) on the backup job.