cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - StoreOnce Duplicate Backup Data

meichstetter
Not applicable

Hello,

i am using Backup Exec 2014 with a HP StoreOnce Dedup Appliance.
The StoreOnce is connected over FC as a virtual Tape Library to my Backup Exec Server.
I have about 120 Windows 2008 R2 Servers to backup.

I read the Best Practices Guide for StoreOnce and run following setup:
- 12x LTO5 Drives (for multistream Support)
- no append of data, always overwrite
- Disable compression and decryption
- Disable verify

I backup my data in two steps.
First Step: Backups are saved on my StoreOnce.
Second Step: After that i am running a Duplicate Job (right after finishing Backup) to store the Files on a physical Tape Library (HP MSL8096) in another Fire Protection Area.

My Problem:
My Setup has a big Problem. Backup on StoreOnce is fast enough and fine. But the read Performance for my Duplicate Job is pretty poor. On weekdays this is not a big Problem because i am runnung only differencial Backups and there is not such amount of Data. But on each Saturday i am running a Full Backup (about 15TB of Data) and my Duplication Jobs sporadically goes to Status "missed". I think this is because Backup Exec is trying to duplicate the Backups from StoreOnce to MSL. Because of the poor read Performance this Task consumes to much time. I am starting my Duplication Jobs right after finishing my Backup. It seems for me it is hardcoded the Deduplications Job has to be finished within 24 hours after Backup Job finished.

Any Ideas how to improve my Backup?
Should i schedule my duplications Jobs instead of start them directly after finishing my Backup Job?
Shoud i disable duplications Jobs from StoreOnce to MSL completly and create always two Backups from my Servers? One Backup to StoreOnce and one to MSL. I think this whould be much faster. Disadvantage will be my productive Servers are touched twice.

Maybe someone can help me.

Thanks.

Kind Regards
Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/backup-exec-storeonce-duplicate-backup-data

Please don't post multiple times under multiple accounts.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/backup-exec-storeonce-duplicate-backup-data

Please don't post multiple times under multiple accounts.

Thanks!