cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - Tape swap reports?

Eehh
Level 2

Hello,

We're a medium sized "branch" of a company, using Backup Exec instead of the bigger solution the other sites have.
Our manager noticed that the other sites (which do not use Backup Exec) have this procedure where an email gets sent to IT every morning, with a list of tapes that should be taken out and stored in the safe, and which tapes should be put in.

She now wants us to have the same solution, but using Backup Exec.

Is this possible?
Can you get such a report from Backup Exec? For instance, it does the daily backup, sends us an email saying "This tape (barcode) has just been used for the most recent backup. Please take it out. Also, put in this tape (barcode) which is now the oldest in the "queue", so we can overwrite it".

Tried to mess around with the alerts, but all it does is say "Hey, I just finished a job. I wont tell you what tapes were used or anything though."
Not really helpful at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In BE, tape vaults are virtual locations to store your tapes.  They might represent actual vaults.  You move tapes in and out of the vaults to reflect the actual location of the tapes.  The Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory will explain further.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can take a look at tape vaults which may provide something close to what you want.

What you can do is to set up a policy with an export template to export the latest tape used, so that the user do not have to identify which tape is used last.  Put this tape in an envelope/container which identifies which day it is used so that it can be returned to the library at the appropriate date.

Eehh
Level 2

Thank you, I'll look into this.

Can it be setup so it will tell you to put in the tape the day before it's needed, so you won't have to mess around with some "envelope/container" setup?

We would like to just store them all in a safe, and it just tells us which tape to take out of the safe and put into the device.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Can it be setup so it will tell you to put in the tape the day before it's needed, so you won't have to mess around with some "envelope/container" setup?

No. If you want a report then you would have to look at tape vaults.

Eehh
Level 2

Sorry, I'm pretty new to backup solutions and its terms.

When you say tape vaults, do you mean a tape robot that by itself has some kind of software to generate these kind of reports?

When I read "tape vault", I instantly thought of a vault to keep tapes, i.e. a safe. Given, we already have a safe, but then I realized a safe won't help us generate these kind of reports, hehe.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In BE, tape vaults are virtual locations to store your tapes.  They might represent actual vaults.  You move tapes in and out of the vaults to reflect the actual location of the tapes.  The Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory will explain further.

Eehh
Level 2

EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Thank you Pkh!