cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - Ubuntu Server

gtait
Level 3

Hi

I am currently running a trial of the product right now. Everything has been working find from a Windows perspective. I am having an issue with getting the media server speaking with a linux server.

The agent is installed on the linux server and is running. I have checked this out and I am comfortable in saying so. The server itself was also rebooted after the install. I have also confirmed the beoper group is created and a user named "backup" is added to the group.

When attempting to add the server in Backup Exec the opertaion cannot be completed. I have tried using DNS, IP and the FQDN of the server. Each time it fails with the same message. I am able to ping the server by IP and DNS. 

The Ubuntu server didn't have a firewall running but it did have IP tables. I added the port 10000 to this. I still had the same issue. I then disabled IP Tables and attempted once again. Once again I had the same problem.

I used the below link to edit the RALUS.cfg and added what was necessary. Again I came up against the same problem

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016591

I have used the Backup Exec debug tool but I don't see anything obvious in here to point out the problem. One of the error codes is the problem I see in the GUI "The server was unable to complete the requested operation"

I am looking for any ideas on how to get this working. Hopefully I have missed something

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Gareth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Okay. After some more thinking today I managed to get it working.

I installed the agent on another linux server to check it wasn't anything I was doing and this added first time. I found out the Zabbix installation adds some weird rules to the iptables. I cleared these running the below commands.

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t mangle -F
iptables -F
iptables -X

ip6tables -P INPUT ACCEPT
ip6tables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
ip6tables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
ip6tables -t nat -F
ip6tables -t mangle -F
ip6tables -F
ip6tables -X

After running the above. Be warned it will clear all rules. Issue the command: iptables -nvL

The tables should show with nothing. You can build from here if necessary. Obviously a good idea to copy the rules to a file sudo iptables-save > iptables.conf

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

criley
Employee Accredited

@gtait

What version of Backup Exec (16?) ?

And what version of Ubuntu ?

@criley

I am using Backup Exec 16.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is being used. This linux server runs Rancid and Zabbix not that I believe these apps should effect the agent. They don't use the same ports.

Double check that port 10000 and 6101 are available in both directions.

6101 is the advertisement port.
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100017825

If that doesn't work, you might want to debug the ralus agent to see what the errors are for connecting to the BE Server.
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016633

That seems to have got me a stpe further. Samba had been using port 10000. It has now been removed. The service beremote had also been causing a problem. This has been stopped and when running the debug I can see NDMP listener starts on port 10000. The next problem is connecting to the media server on 6101. I have confirmed this port is open from the Windows machine. I am able to telnet to it.

I see the below logs.

43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : This instance of BETCPListener was not requested to install a signal handler and hence will not install one!
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : BENetConfigEx: A change in the address table has been detected
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : BENetConfigEx: Successfully refreshed adapter information.
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : BENetConfigEx: A change in the address table has been detected
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : BENetConfigEx: Successfully refreshed adapter information.
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : GetClientCertificateByIPReverseLookup:BEConvertServerNamePlus:: Calling
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : ConnectToNameServer: failed to get active client certificate for '1'
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: connect to target=192.168.12.28 port=6101 failed
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : ************** NrdsAdvertiserThread:Start attempt connection using all known client certs ***************
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: Retrying in 60 seconds
42d80700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:25 2018 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: negative (purge) advertisement cycle started.
42d80700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:25 2018 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: no purge is pending.
42d80700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:25 2018 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: negative (purge) advertisement cycle complete. Waiting 5 minutes before advertising again.
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : ConnectToNameServer: failed to get active client certificate for '1'
43581700 Thu Apr 19 18:28:20 2018 : NrdsAdvertiserThread: connect to target=192.168.12.28 port=6101 failed

Can you post your ralus.cfg?  Looks like it's having a problems with the certs, so lets start with making sure those are set properly in the ralus.cfg file.

Sorry Ben for the late reply. I never got the chance to look at this on Friday on Monday. Side tracked a little.

The ralus config is below.

Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Agent Browser\TcpIp\AdvertisementPort=6101
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Debug\AgentConfig=0
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Debug\VXBSAlevel=
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertise All=1
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertise Now=0
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertised Name Ok List_1=zabbix.netrefer.loc
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertisement Purge=0
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertising Disabled=0
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertising Interval Minutes=5
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Agent Directory List A=192.168.12.28
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Auto Discovery Enabled=1
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Remote machine ID for zabbix=376637d2-97a4-42c1-b1e1-9ff0ed82b908
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Logging\RANT NDMP Debug Level=0
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\AOFOL\CacheFileMountPoint=
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\AOFOL\CacheFileSize=
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\DisableOFO=0
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\Encoder=
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\ShowTSAFS=
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemExclude1=/mnt/nss/pools/
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemExclude2=/mnt/nss/.pools/
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemExclude3=/_admin/*.*
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemFSTypeExclude1=devpts
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemFSTypeExclude2=proc
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemFSTypeExclude3=sysfs
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemFSTypeExclude4=rpc_pipefs
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemFSTypeExclude5=tmpfs
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemFSTypeExclude6=ftp
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\SystemFSTypeExclude7=ntfs
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\VfmPath=/opt/VRTSralus/VRTSvxms
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RMAL\DisableRMAL=0

Okay. After some more thinking today I managed to get it working.

I installed the agent on another linux server to check it wasn't anything I was doing and this added first time. I found out the Zabbix installation adds some weird rules to the iptables. I cleared these running the below commands.

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t mangle -F
iptables -F
iptables -X

ip6tables -P INPUT ACCEPT
ip6tables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
ip6tables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
ip6tables -t nat -F
ip6tables -t mangle -F
ip6tables -F
ip6tables -X

After running the above. Be warned it will clear all rules. Issue the command: iptables -nvL

The tables should show with nothing. You can build from here if necessary. Obviously a good idea to copy the rules to a file sudo iptables-save > iptables.conf