cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - Unable to find NAS

usersky
Level 4
Hi,

I trying to back up my data to my NAS but when I creating the backup job, I unable to find my NAS
My NAS is link to my physical server by network point. They able to ping to one another.
I have map my NAS on my window 2K8 server and I able to see the map network dirve in my computer dialog box.
Are there any steps that I miss out when doing the backup job?
Or symantec back up exec unable to see map network drive?

Kindly advise me what to do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6
You dont point to a NAS, or to a UNC path.  Well not directly in this case.
You need to create a backup to disk folder that is pointed to the NAS UNC path  This is done in the Devices section of BackupExec.
Then in your backup job, you point to the backup to disk folder.

You should run the initial wozard that comes up when you first install BackupExec.  I think it will go through everything.

Ideally, you hire a local consultant with familiarity of BackupExec, as there are many things that can be configured wrong and you may not be protecting what you need protected.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
symantec back up exec unable to see map network drive

Yes.  You should use the UNC name instead.

usersky
Level 4
Sorry how to create UNC in order for symantec backup to locate.

teiva-boy
Level 6
You dont point to a NAS, or to a UNC path.  Well not directly in this case.
You need to create a backup to disk folder that is pointed to the NAS UNC path  This is done in the Devices section of BackupExec.
Then in your backup job, you point to the backup to disk folder.

You should run the initial wozard that comes up when you first install BackupExec.  I think it will go through everything.

Ideally, you hire a local consultant with familiarity of BackupExec, as there are many things that can be configured wrong and you may not be protecting what you need protected.

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi,

If you are able to access the CIFS share on your NAS box throrugh windows than simply you need to go to Devices tab on the Backup Exec Console. From there you can create Backup-to-disk folder. However, not all the NAS devices are certified by Symantec, so there is only best effort support on such device as the backup destination.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/309592
 [Creating a backup-to-disk folder]
http://support.veritas.com/docs/309593
 [Creating a backup-to-disk folder by using the Backup-to-disk Wizard]

Also you can refer the Administrator's Guide for the same. You can find comprehensive information in the Admin Guide. To access the admin guid go to Help | Administrator's Guide in the Backup Exec Console.

usersky
Level 4
Okay, I go to create backup-to-disk but it prompt me this error message:
unable to create new backup folder. access denied.

The folder at my NAS is already being shared and gain full control.
The account that I log in is administrator right.

Have been troubleshoot and research for quite a long time but unable to solve it.

kindly advise it how to solve this issue.

usersky
Level 4
I manage to solve the issue on unable to creat new backup device folder.

I got the solution from one of the thread, here are the steps:

1.) Disconnect all drive mappings in Windows to your NAS and close any other connections.

2.) Log out and back in to clear the cached credentials.

3.) Open explorer and choose map a network drive.

4.) Enter the UNC Name \\DeviceName\ShareName of the NAS and choose any free drive letter.

5.) Choose Reconnect at logon.

6.) DO NOT Choose Connect using a Different user name.

7.) Hit OK.  You will be prompted to enter credentials. If you are not prompted you still have an open connection to the NAS.  Start back at step 1.

8.) Enter the DeviceName\UserName and the Password for the user account on the NAS device in the boxes.

9.) Check the box to remember the password.

Remember to check the box to remember the password, if not u need to redo everything back to step 1.