cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Update 2015 from 2012/2011

eberghbs
Level 3

I have licensing for 2015 backup v-ray for virtualized environments 4 of these and then 2 license keys for applications and databases. I need to know where these keys need to be applied?? Should the 2 license keys for applications and databases be applied to the Exchange and SQL databases in the environment and then the 4 v-ray licenses applied to the 2 domain controllers, vcenter, and the backup. Here is a quick rundown of the current environment

IM-SQL02 - System Recovery 2011
IM-DC01
IM-VCenter
IM-DC02
IM-Exchange01

IM-Monitor - Backup Exec Agent Utility

IM-Backup01 - Symantec Backup Exec 2012

This is the software that is currently installed. I just need to know where these 2015 license keys for v-ray and apps/databases need to applied. Thank you in advance

Eric

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

when you do your upgrade it's going to ask for the licenses...put them in on the media server.

To do GRT backups of the VMs you'd install the remote agent on every VM you want to do this on. No licenses are ever installed on the remote servers.

Thanks!

eberghbs
Level 3

I think I'm getting a better understanding of this.. So if I just put the licensing on the backup exec 2012 where everything is being managed and we already have the remote agent on the VM's I should just be able to go >Install Licenses and Options on this Backup Exec Server this should find the licenses on that server and be able to upgrade. Is this correct?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You do the upgrade and then put in the license keys during the upgrade. I presume you V-Ray license keys are for BE 15. If the license keys are for the older versions, then you need a new set of licence keys for BE 15 The V-Ray edition entitles you to as many Agent for Applications and Databases licences as you need to backup your virtual environment, so why did you buy 2 more Agent for Applications and Databases licences?

eberghbs
Level 3

So I just got notification ID's to do the upgrade from 2014 to 2015 because we had an older version. I'm not really sure why 2 more agents for apps/database licenses were purchase. This is my first backup exec upgrade and it looks like all of these servers are running in Vcenter. Not sure if they purchased two more for physical servers or what the customers plan is. Right now we have 4 for v-ray and 2 for app/databases

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...were you backing up physical servers too, as those licenses might be for that?

THanks!