cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Upgrade to 2010 and Shared San Storage Option

ehollenback
Level 3

I have a small environment: one Backup Exec Media server and one Tape library.  Because of this in 12.5, I did not need, purchase, or install the Shared San Storage option.  I am now trying to update my Backup Exec server to 2010.  During the installation, it stopped telling me that it needed the SSO agent after I installed all of the license keys.  If I took out the license keys, proceeded with the installation, I noticed that it defaulted to using the SSO option and I couldn't deselect it.  Symantec wants me to uninstall all 12.5 license keys, install 2010 and then install the new 2010 license keys.  Why would it default to requiring hte SSO option if I don't need it and haven't been using it???  Just as a piece of background, my disk storage and tape library connect to the server via Fibre Channel and are not shared storage.  Symantec support couldn't say why it was defaulting to this configuration and wants me to try a workaround that is both long winded and not guaranteed to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

The only reason why the upgrade should be asking for the CASO option is if it was either trialed, or installed before.
Whether or not your disk and library connected to FC switches isn't a matter for debate...it doesn't matter where it is connected. If the license/option was installed/trialed, that would be the only way to activate it.
That said, is it telling you that you need to install licenses, and then giving you the option to click Yes/No? If so, click No...this will mean you don't want to add in licenses for that (I get this on some of the servers I am busy upgrading with the SQL license specifically!). Once you do that, it would then take you through to the options...you can deselect SAN SSO if it is in there.
Let me know if you come right!

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Hi there,

The only reason why the upgrade should be asking for the CASO option is if it was either trialed, or installed before.
Whether or not your disk and library connected to FC switches isn't a matter for debate...it doesn't matter where it is connected. If the license/option was installed/trialed, that would be the only way to activate it.
That said, is it telling you that you need to install licenses, and then giving you the option to click Yes/No? If so, click No...this will mean you don't want to add in licenses for that (I get this on some of the servers I am busy upgrading with the SQL license specifically!). Once you do that, it would then take you through to the options...you can deselect SAN SSO if it is in there.
Let me know if you come right!

Laters!

CraigV
Hi,

Has this helped at all...?