cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Verification Jobs Error

j_mendes
Level 3

Running into an issue with Verification Jobs with gets the following error: A000FE34 or E000FE34 or 00000000 - Difference encountered in file data reported during verify job operation. The strange thing is that all files listed in the Log Details have whitespace or non-English characters in the file path. But not all files that have those characters caused the error. Could it be the issue? Whats also strange is that every verification job run lists differents files causing the error in Job Details.

Scenario:

I have a big backup (~1TB) which takes about 8 hours, and as default, BE verifies the files afterwards, presenting the mentioned error. It's a B2D operation. The target disk is iSCSI-mounted on the BESERVER. The storage is from a NAS Filer. The files being backed up are acessed somewhat often. The disk is exclusively for BE backups.

What has been done:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100022879

I tried almost everything from the article above (related to B2D backups):

• No antivirus software is running on the client.
  • The NAS Filer is directly connected to the BESERVER no switches envolved.
  • Didnt try defrag tool or Windows Error Checking Utility in disk because its a brand-new NAS Filer so i think thats not the problem.
  • TCP Offloads is already disabled.
  • Tried removing whitespace and non-English characters from file names.

All results in the same error.

Questions

• What does the verify operation compare the checksum of files stored in backup storage with?
  • Acessing a file that is being backed up affects the checksum used in the verify operation?
1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What does the verify operation compare the checksum of files stored in backup storage with?

The verify job will read the data from the backup storage, compute a checksum and compare this checksum with the one which is stored on the backup storage during the backup.  The original data are not accessed during a verify job.

Acessing a file that is being backed up affects the checksum used in the verify operation?

No.

If you have sufficient storage, try storing the backup on a normal disk and see what happens.