cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Verify does not work

NetworkCompany
Level 4

Data reads seem to cause many Backup Exec failures in my environment.  The verify stage of certain backups cause memory issues and consume all memory which subsequently crash the entire OS.   This occurs  with Backup Exec 16 or 20 or 20.1 and 20.2.   This is also occuring on backup exec servers running windows 2012 R2 or 2016.  The problem occurs most often on tape drives but also occurs on iSCSI targets.  I opened a case which spanned months and no resoultion was found.

I re-opened the case after a short vacation and it was rudely closed without a single voice call.

I have come to the conclusion that the verify stage of backup exec simply does not work.

Does anyone know a benefit of the verify stage and or why it is enabled by default?  

2 REPLIES 2

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

verify runs a cyclic redundancy check on the data which is being written on the media. A crc is calculated just before the data is written on media and then with verify the data written on media is read back. If both the crc codes match that means the data is correctly written.

Does the memory consumption remain low if you do not verify the backup (just for a check). Also make sure SGMON.exe (Backup Exec Debug Monitor) is not running. Also ensure verbose device and media is disabled in the BE Debug Monitor.
(Launch SGMON.exe from BE Install Path, settings -> device and media -> deselect verbose)

please also IM the case number which is open now, so that we can review it.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@NetworkCompany wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that the verify stage of backup exec simply does not work.

Does anyone know a benefit of the verify stage and or why it is enabled by default?  

Verify works fine for me.  So, you might have something in your environment that is different.

The benefit of verify is making sure that the date written to tape is readable.  I assume that it is enabled by default as it is the right thing to do, for most people.  You can now schedule the verifies to run outside of your backup windows, which helps people with a smaller backup window and long jobs.