Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Windows 2012R2 and 2012 Datacenter

MiguelC
Level 3
Partner

Hi all,

I hope this is the correct place to put this question.

I´ve a client with Datacenter license for VM´s and few machines licensed with 2012R2 server, with this panorama can I use Backup Exec at one physical Windows Server 2012 R2 and do full or granular recovery of Windows 2012 Datacenter machines ?
Thanks for support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup Exec running on 2008R2 backing up Windows 2012R2 (regardless of type, Standard, Datacenter, etc..) will only be able to GRT things that Windows 2008 R2 can mount (NTFS, FAT). So If you backup up a Windows 2012 R2 Active Directory VM from Backup Exec 2008 R2 you will not be able to do an application GRT of Active Directory because Windows 2008 R2 does not understand Windows 2012 R2 AD.

However Backup Exec installed on Windows 2012R2 Standard CAN backup with Application GRT Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter or any Windows 2012 R2 flavors. It can also backup and restore prior version of Windows as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi, You need to buy a license for Backup Exec which the allows you to install BE on a physical server. In order to backup the Hyper-V VMs you would need something like V-Ray. BE itself won't allow you to backup anything like that without the relevant licenses, which the licensing department or a reseller can assist with. Thanks!

MiguelC
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

We have licenses already, for Backup Exec at one physical server with Windows 2012R2 Standard, VM´s and physical servers with agents, inclusive for the Hosts with Vmware

Our ambient is mixed, VM´s and Physical machines and Server 2012 Datacenter and standard.
My question is, having Server2012R2 Standard at BE machine, and making backup of domain controllers or other machines with Server 2012R2 Datacenter, we do not have the problem of Backup Exec 2014.

Example - BE 2014 at one 2008R2 server backing up 2012R2 domain controller only can do a full restore not a granullar. At my question BE with 2012R2 Standard Backing up Server 2012R2 Datacenter how about restore or disaster case.

Sorry about my first question.

Thank you.

Backup Exec running on 2008R2 backing up Windows 2012R2 (regardless of type, Standard, Datacenter, etc..) will only be able to GRT things that Windows 2008 R2 can mount (NTFS, FAT). So If you backup up a Windows 2012 R2 Active Directory VM from Backup Exec 2008 R2 you will not be able to do an application GRT of Active Directory because Windows 2008 R2 does not understand Windows 2012 R2 AD.

However Backup Exec installed on Windows 2012R2 Standard CAN backup with Application GRT Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter or any Windows 2012 R2 flavors. It can also backup and restore prior version of Windows as well.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it is a great help, as we have 2012R2 standard licenses available, and we need to do full or granular restores in case of problem with Datacenters, the question of windows standard at BE machine was fulcral to avoid one more Datacenter license :-).

All the best.
Regards.