cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Write Protection

keppa
Level 3

We are trying to use some second hand media on our server. We are using backup exec, and everytime we insert and try to edit the media it comes up with an error message that says the media is write protected. This media all came from another server and none of the set works. but our old media that we have and brand new media that we have work fine. 

Is there some feature in Backup exec that disallows the media from being used in another server? the version we are running is 12.5, and if it doesn't have to do with Backup exec what could be the issue?

Thanks 

15 REPLIES 15

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

are you sure the media is not protected against writes.

The media can be physically protected 

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

Click on Tools->options->Media management and uncheck "Prompt before

overwriting imported media"

EDIT: You may also drag n drop the media in the scratch media so that BE can pick

up the tape for the next backup.

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

Hi,

Make sure tape does not have the write protect tab.

Go to tool -> options -> catalog -> & un-check request all media in sequence...

then try again.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Both of those should work (provided the write switch on the media is in the right position). Of those two, I'd say it's better to move the media to the Scratch Media set, as disabling the overwrite protection for imported media removes a layer of security, and allows you to make mistakes!

keppa
Level 3

I have already tried to disable the prompt before overwrite but it still is giving that message and failing. it seems like the media is writeprotected but it isn't the physical lock tab on the tape.

keppa
Level 3

I did try both but so far no results. It still comes up that the media is writeprotected.

keppa
Level 3

The tapes write protect tab is set to unlocked and it still wont allow anything with it. The tapes were working fine in the other server. it just happened when we moved the tapes to this server too.

keppa
Level 3

I am wondering though if maybe Reformating the tapes would solve it. i cant though find where or if there even is a way to do that through backup exec.

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

The error may occur due to the following reasons:

1. The media in the drive is physically write protected.

Solution: To write to the media, remove the media from the drive and "unlock" the write protect tab on the media.

Note:  Before "unlocking" the write protect tab, determine why the write protect tab was set to the "lock" position. The purpose of the write protect tab is to prevent the data on the media from being overwritten. "Unlocking" the write protect tab will allow Backup Exec to write to the tape (and possibly overwrite important data).  

2. The write protected condition may be caused by media that is not write compatible with the drive.

Solution: Make sure that the media is compatible with the tape drive.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I  am wondering though if maybe Reformating the tapes would solve it

Re-labeling the tapes is the same as a Quick Erase. 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

@Munir

Why do you keep repeating advice that has already been given?

This is not the first or even the second thread where you have done this!

keppa
Level 3

ok, i believe the media is the same as the current media being used. Is there a way to tell other than brand and the model number recorded on the tape? i also have double checked the overwrite tab and it is in the right position.

Is there any way that there could be a software related write protect?

keppa
Level 3

I did try the re-labeling and it also failed. i am hoping that for somereason the whole bunch of media isn't bad.

keppa
Level 3

I also tried the quick erase and it still comes up with that write protection error.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@Munir2Fast - Your answer is a copy of a portion of this document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23599&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

This is plagarism. 

The proper way is to refer the user to the document. Do not copy from other sources and post them as your answers.