cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec administration for the novice small business IT Mgr

Coleman_McCormi
Level 2
Is there a resource or book out there for help using Backup Exec in a small business environment?  I've been using BE10 here at our office for a couple years now, and I just plain don't have time to mess around with it and become a storage admin.  I'm basically all of the IT support for our office, along with engineer, GIS technician, etc etc.  I want a guide that basically steps through setting up a simple "grandfather-father-son" backup strategy with incrementals/differentials during the week, and end-of-week full, and an end-of-month full for archive purposes.

Backup Exec seems like there are a plethora of features I'm constantly having to wade through that will never pertain to my business.  Things like media sets, policies, vaults, catalogs, device pools, etc, all just kind of get in the way of me creating a simple backup routine with a single Selection List and recurring backup job.

I've been mildly successful over the last couple years at making it limp along in a working fashion, but I've never been entirely happy with or trusting of our current setup.  I'm really looking for a website or maybe another forum that isn't necessarily full of enterprise admins who use the software to its fullest extent.  I really only need to use about 10% of what BE can do to get my job done.

Much appreciated,
-Coleman
0 REPLIES 0