Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and Exchange

swissmess
Level 2
Partner

Hello

I'm using Backup Exec 2010 R2 on a Windows 2003R2 Server. Some weeks ago, we upgraded our Exchange. Now it's a 2008R2 Server.

Last week I've installed the Agent on the exchange server. But it produced errors every day: First i thougt, it is because of the Agent which was installed in ProgramFiles(x86) and uninstalled it. After installation of x64-Agent the errors did appear again.

So is there a way to backup the Exchange on a 2008R2 because we don't want to update our backup server yet...

Thanx for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the version of Exchange that is installed on Win 2008 R2...... If your Exchange is Exchange 2010 then you need to have 64 bit media server, means that Backup Exec should be on the 64 bit Operating System.

If your Exchange is 2007 then you can have any type of Media server.

Also you will not have to get any other Exchange license key just because you have upgraded the Exchange or Windows OS. Same Backup Exec agent license for Exchange can be used to backup your Exchange 2003. 3007 as well as Exchange 2010.

Also you do not need to buy any other Remote agent license key. Same can used to backup the remote server after its upgraded to Win 2008 R2. Just that you need to install 64 bit version of Remote agent which you have already done as per the post.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB

On 2008R2 server you can install 64bit agent only as its a 64bit server.

Could you post the error message and also let us know if its exchange 2007 or 2010

Sush---
Level 6

What is the version of Exchange that is installed on Win 2008 R2...... If your Exchange is Exchange 2010 then you need to have 64 bit media server, means that Backup Exec should be on the 64 bit Operating System.

If your Exchange is 2007 then you can have any type of Media server.

Also you will not have to get any other Exchange license key just because you have upgraded the Exchange or Windows OS. Same Backup Exec agent license for Exchange can be used to backup your Exchange 2003. 3007 as well as Exchange 2010.

Also you do not need to buy any other Remote agent license key. Same can used to backup the remote server after its upgraded to Win 2008 R2. Just that you need to install 64 bit version of Remote agent which you have already done as per the post.

Thanks,

-Sush...

swissmess
Level 2
Partner

@Sush

Thanx alot Sush for your explanation.

Yes, Exchange 2010 ... and I learned of it is that we HAVE TO upgrade the BEX-Server to 2008R2?

Is there really no other solution??

@AmolZeroCool:

0xe000120f (E000120f) and V-79-57344-4623

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&startover=y&question_box=V-79-57344-4623

I don't know if the agent was 32bit or 64Bit. I tried to reinstall it manually because it was in ProgramFilesx86... but it should have been the x64-version, because the errorcode didn't change after reinstallation of the agent...

swissmess
Level 2
Partner

Hello again.

I still have a question.

My chief wants to know if it is just a problem with Exchange 2010 itself or will we have the same problems if our AD will be updated to 64Bit Windows 2008R2 or SQL2005 to earliest version.

Do you know other equal circumstances, maybe in a Linux or Citrix-environement or other Windows Applications with that problem??

Thanks!

Matthias 

Sush---
Level 6

This is NOT a PROBLEM at all but its by design that you require 64 bit media server to backup Exchange 2010.

You can check the Software Compatibility List (SCL) for further details,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682

Thanks,

-Sush...