cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and Microsoft Essential Business Server (EBS)

Easy_IT
Not applicable
Partner
Hi all,

Does anyone know if Symantec will be releasing a Backup Exec EBS edition ?  (Like the Small Business Edition)

If not any ideas how should it be licensed?

1 x Symantec Backup Exec (For the host which will be doing the backup) - [Management Server]
1 x Exchange Agent (Which includes remote agent)    [Messaging Server]
1 x remote server Agent for the third server  [Security Server]

It would be good if there was an EBS edition.

Cheers,

Jeremy
18 REPLIES 18

khisanth
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Hi Jeremy

There will not be a specific EBS edition of Backup Exec, you will need the normal edition and the relevant Exchange,Active Directory and/or SQL agent depending on what you need to backup.

regards

Thurstan

Jeff_Myers
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to clarify, there is an edition of Backup Exec that fits your exact needs.  It is called Backup Exec EBS Standard Edition.  It includes:

1 - Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Server core license

2 - Agents for Exchange

1 - Agent for Active Directory

If you need to protect SQL then you can get the Premium Edition of this product that includes the above plus 1 SQL Agent. 

One more thing, those agents for Exchange and AD include the Agent for Windows, so you can protect these components on "remote" servers.

Thurstan_Johnst
Not applicable
Partner

@ORMB wrote:

Just to clarify, there is an edition of Backup Exec that fits your exact needs.  It is called Backup Exec EBS Standard Edition.  It includes:

1 - Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Server core license

2 - Agents for Exchange

1 - Agent for Active Directory

If you need to protect SQL then you can get the Premium Edition of this product that includes the above plus 1 SQL Agent. 

One more thing, those agents for Exchange and AD include the Agent for Windows, so you can protect these components on "remote" servers.

is this a partner specific bundle?

Jeff_Myers
Level 3
No this is not a partner specific bundle.

Jeff_Myers
Level 3

Sorry, just to clarify Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Small Business Server (Standard or Premium edition).  This includes support for the new EBS offering by Microsoft, including the plug-in to Microsoft's management app that allows you to manage Backup Exec from Microsoft's console.

Jeff

mattshadbolt
Level 3

Hi ORMB,

Sorry - this is a little confusing! So the SBS 12.5 version supports EBS 2008 and includes an MS Exchange remote agent?

Cheers,

Matt

mattshadbolt
Level 3

Hi Jeff,

I can't find any mention of support for EBS server on the Symantec site (except for the BE Standard version), and I've just downloaded the trail to see if it comes with an exchange remote agent and it doesn't seem to.

Have you got any product information that confirms support for the remote agents and support for EBS?

Thanks again for your help.

Matt

Jeff_Myers
Level 3

You might want to check out the data sheet here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/datasheets.jsp?pcid=pcat_storage&pvid=296_1

It explains all that Backup Exec SBS supports and what is included in the two editions.

mattshadbolt
Level 3

Thanks Jeff - I've already read this.

There is information on the included Exchange 07 agent but it doesn't specifically say that it is a remote agent, not just the normal SBS Exchange configuration... And still there is no mention of EBS, just SBS.

Jeff_Myers
Level 3

Try checking here under the "New Features" section of the website:

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/newfeatures.jsp?pcid=pcat_storage&pvid=296_1

Here's the important section from that page:

Market Leading Data Protection for the Comprehensive Microsoft Windows 2008 Server Portfolio

Complete data protection for the latest Windows Server 2008 portfolio including Windows Server 2008, Windows Small Business Server 2008, new Essential Business Server 2008 and SQL 2008 databases

• Complete data protection for Windows Small Business Server 2008
  • Integrated data protection for Windows Essential Business Server 2008 through a single console. Unique, easy easy to manage Backup Exec 12.5 configuration set-up and monitoring through the EBS administration console
  • SQL 2008 point in time recovery and integrated support for file stream and SQL database compression

mattshadbolt
Level 3

@ORMB wrote:

Market Leading Data Protection for the Comprehensive Microsoft Windows 2008 Server Portfolio

Complete data protection for the latest Windows Server 2008 portfolio including Windows Server 2008, Windows Small Business Server 2008, new Essential Business Server 2008 and SQL 2008 databases

• Complete data protection for Windows Small Business Server 2008
  • Integrated data protection for Windows Essential Business Server 2008 through a single console. Unique, easy easy to manage Backup Exec 12.5 configuration set-up and monitoring through the EBS administration console
  • SQL 2008 point in time recovery and integrated support for file stream and SQL database compression

Thanks again Jeff - I know I'm being a pain in the butt but the information is so limited! 

I can see that it supports Essential Business Server 08, but again there is no specific information saying the Exchange 07 remote agent is included - it more sounds like they are explaining the integrated EBS console for managing backups.

I know EBS is brand new, but it would have been nice if Symantec released a specific datasheet or some sort of press release!

Cheers,

Matt

mattshadbolt
Level 3

Hi Guys,

I've just spoken with Symantec sales who has spent the past two days chasing this information and they seems to think that the SBS version doesn't allow you to backup a seperate Exchange server. I did point them to the "New Features" page that you suggested Jeff so they are going to continue chasing the information for me.

If anyone can confirm that their SBS 12.5 version DID in fact come with a separate Exchange 07 agent I would really appreciate the information.

I will let you all know how I go. Btw, big thanks to the Symantec sales rep Sam - she's busting a gut trying to get this info.

Cheers,

Matt

ukwalnuts
Not applicable

Hi,

There's no way Backup Exec 12.5 SBS supports EBS. EBS is a different product and requires minimum of 3 servers.

Backup Exec 12.5 SBS will probably support SBS 2008.

From what I can gather from Symantec thay have partnered with Microsoft to support EBS but it looks like they are only going to release a plugin for EBS console. If you want to backup your EBS servers you will need to buy Backup Exec 12.5 and agents for Exchange, Active Directory etc.

They may decide to release a EBS bundle but they haven't announced this yet.

mattshadbolt
Level 3
Is there any word if Symantec will release an EBS product?

khisanth
Level 2
Employee Accredited
At the moment we have no plans for an EBS edition of Backup Exec. If the demand is there then it may be considered.

Pulrang
Level 2
Partner

FYI: The demand is there and that is why we are asking.  Due to the fact that you don't offer a product I will be installing Microsoft's System Center Data Protection Manager.

khisanth
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Backup Exec fully supports Windows EBS , it's just that we do not have a specific licensing bundle for that Edition unlike Windows SBS.

Pulrang
Level 2
Partner

Thank you for the reply but saying EBS is 'supported' is quite vague.  Does that mean I purchase the SBS edition and install it on the three (or four in the case of EBS Premium) servers?  Will I be able to push the agents out to the member servers without issue?  I would think i am out of license compliance using an SBS product on multiple servers and I am buying the SBS (read 'one' server) edition of Backup Exec.  Am I mistaken here?

Thanks again.