cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and Scalar 50

Matt_Tech
Level 4

Hi, Running Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213 and trying to import tapes using a Quantum Scalar 50 and not having luck.  I am able to via the web interface of the Scalar 50 and see that the tapes are in the "Right Load Ports", but I can’t get them into slots.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Matt_Tech
Level 4
update: to make a long story short, the issue was with the system was cabled along with zoning issues on the switch.  Other than an issue with one of the scalar 50's everything is working fine, ive done backup and restores.

thanks for your interest.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Once your tapes are in the Load Ports, you need to import them into the library.  In BE, go to the Devices tab and click on Slots in your library.  To import a tape into a particular slot, right-click on the slot and select Import.  If your tape have barcode labels, then BE will recognise the tapes after they are imported.  Otherwise, either check the auto-inventory checkbox in the Import job or run an inventory on the slot after the tape has been successfully imported.

If this answers your question, please mark it as the solution.

Matt_Tech
Level 4

Hi and thank you for the reply.  I right clicked a slot and chose import and I get a prompt from backup exec that tells me to insert media into the slot.  In the past when I’ve used backup exec this is where I would go to the tape library and open the i/o slot (using the controls on the drive) and insert the tape, then click OK.  In this case however nothing happens and when I click OK the job says it ran successfully but tape isn’t imported.  Since I already have the tapes in the load port, shouldn’t backup exec recognize tapes are present and finish the import?  The tapes are barcode labeled too.  Is there a way that I can verify backup exec is communicating with the scalar 50?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt_Tech
Level 4
I just noticed device manager has the device listed as "Unknown Medium Changer", I assume thats the issue or part of the issue?

So I installed the latest drivers (be2213R327966_x64bit_329887.exe) and it still shows as "Unknown Medium Changer".

I also found that the "Removable Storage" service was running, so I stopped that service and set it to disabled.

any ideas?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
"Unknown Medium Changer" is correct.  My library too is listed as that.  In Device Manager, check that your tape drive is properly recognised and that the driver is from Symantec.  If it is not, then re-install the drivers using the Device Configuration Wizard (Tools ---> Wizards - Device Configuration Wizard)

Another thing that you can do is to re-install the library.

1) Right-click on the library in the Devices tab in the BE console.

2) Pause, Disable and Remove the library

3) Restart the BE services.   The library should again appear in the Devices tab.

After this, check that the number of slots tally, i.e.,  if your library physically has 24 slots of which 2 are ports, then there should be only 22 slots showing in the BE Devices tab.  Otherwise, this means that the ports are not recognised by BE.  In which case, you have to check your library configuration and re-install the library.

Matt_Tech
Level 4
I called Quantum and they helped me verify the library was working correctly.  They did recommend that I change the Load Port config  from "Column" to "None".  Now there is (apparently) no need to run an import job as the tapes show up in the slots.  Now when I right click a tape (from another Backup Exec server) and choose Catalog, the job gets submitted but says "No idle devices are available".  There are actually 4 drives that are available and I can see them in Backup Exec and even verify serial numbers, but it looks like Backup Exec isn't able to use them for some reason.  If I run a backup job I get the message that I need to insert media.  It looks like Backup Exec isn't able to move tapes from slots to drives.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To use more than 1 tape drive, you would need extra licenses.

Matt_Tech
Level 4

According to "Tools\Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server..." screen I have the following licensed and installed:

Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers
Library Expansion Option
NDMP Option

When I look at "Help\About Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers\License Information" it shows the following as being "Licensed" and "Installed":

Advanced Open File Option
Backup Exec for Windows Server
NDMP Option
Remote Agent for Linux or Unix Servers (evaluation)
Remote Agent for Macintosh Systems (evaluation)
Remote Agent for NetWare Systems
Remote Agent for Windows Systems (evaluation)
Robitic Library Support

Should I have something else?

Matt_Tech
Level 4
update: to make a long story short, the issue was with the system was cabled along with zoning issues on the switch.  Other than an issue with one of the scalar 50's everything is working fine, ive done backup and restores.

thanks for your interest.