cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and TS-3310 Help

corkwood
Level 2
Hello,

I have downloaded the trial version of Backup Exec 2010 R2 and installed it on a Windows 2003 Server machine. Everything went as expected. I am attempting to use a IBM-TS-3310 LTO-3 robotic system. This system has two LTO-3 drives installed and I believe is licensed for 29 media slots. I used the drivers from Symantec on the install and I believe the Backup Exec software sees the units correctly. The problem I am having is actually using the software to do a backup.

Problem 1 - After doing a scan or inventory of the slots, it does not show any media. These LTO-3 Tapes all are bar coded and that should work.

Problem 2 - This system still has IBM Tivoli software on it that we are looking to move away from. Possibly this is causing a conflict? Maybe the tapes are being added to a predefined Tivoli library?

Problem 3 - I am certainly not a backup/archive/restore expert. All I want to do is manual backups of certain folders of files on my drive to a LTO-3 tape and put the tape on the shelf. No incremental etc. I have found no way to select individual folders to back up.

Problem 4 - I cannot find any detailed guide on how to use the TS-3310 in the most basic way with Backup Exec. My needs are super simple, but I am struggling to just load the tapes and have them seen.

Please help me
4 REPLIES 4

corkwood
Level 2
Here is a quick snapshot 

corkwood
Level 2
Here is a quick snapshot of the device manager in the control panel

tech29
Level 6
Hi There,

First step would be to change the media changers to "unknown medium changer".

Refer to these basic troubleshooting steps as well:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255501.htm

Regards,
Tech29

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

You could possibly be having a conflict with the Tivoli software, but it appears that BE properly discovered your robot and two drives.  Try pressing F5 or closing & re-opening the GUI to see if that will make the tapes appear.

When you run an inventory job (right click on the word "slots" & select "inventory" to inventory the whole library), doe the job log show anything in the slots?  Does the job log show 29 empty slots?