cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and Tape Iibrary

Bachchan
Level 6

Hello 

I have Site A & Site B and using Backup Exec. At site A I have BE Server Edition License along with agents for APP/DB for SITE A. In site B I have a File Server with Tape Library attached. For site B I have agent for windows.I want to create Backup locally at Site A and send duplicate to Site B to the library as offsite copy.

Q1 In this case for Site B I will need LEO license for Site B. Do I need any other license in Site B?

q2. We want to do D2D2T. Is it possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

As you state -> "I want to backup at site A and send data to Offsite which is Site B which has a tape drive. So D2D2T from Site A to Site B"

For the above reason install Enterprise Server feature and promote Site B as CAS. Site B BE can run as your DR site where jobs are created and you can manage the servers from here. The Jobs can be run on MBES Site A locally to Disk storage and then duplicated to another Disk (B) and then can be duplicated to Tape on CAS i.e Site B BE. This can be achieved in one Backup Job with a backup stage, 2 Duplicate stages.

You can start off with trial and check out the configuration. Make sure on Site B ESO is installed and then on Site A, install MBES feature. Both BE should be of same version. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gurvinder

Site B can be promoted to central administration server role for which a Enterprise Server feature will be required (Full BE will be need to be installed here). The BE at Site A can be then installed with the Managed Backup Exec feature so that it can talk to the BE server which is the CAS at Site B. You can configure a B2D at Site A to perform local backups to it and a B2D can be created on Site B (You can share this B2D folder and create a Network Disk Storage pointing to this shared B2D from MBES which is your Site A. Note : This means you configure this B2D with local path on Site B and then on Site A, you configure it will the UNC path). This way the backups can be configured on Site B (CAS) to run local backups of Site A on B2D at Site A -> A Duplicate can then duplicate the Backup Set from B2D-A to shared B2D-B (this was configured on Site A by providing the UNC path) and then you can duplicate the backup set which was duplicated from B2D-A to B2D-B. At Site B, a BE server license, Enterpise Server feature license, LEO license (1st drive of 1st library is free).

If you are accomplishing this with the simple Disk storage then no other license would be required. If you would like the duplicate operations between Site A and B work faster, you can also go with configuring Deduplication Storage at Site A and B, then sharing the dedupe-B with Site A from Site B (which is your CAS). This will need an additional license for deduplication on each BE Server.

There are varied licensing model available in Backup Exec. The easiest one being capacity based licensing. You can take a look at the licensing guide for further assistance with licensing.
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000109494

Thanks for your reply. But as I mentioned my main site is Site A and I already have BE Server Edition License here. I want to backup at site A and send data to Offsite which is Site B which has a tape drive. So D2D2T from Site A to Site B. The question I have I should be installing BE Enterprise Server at Site A. Correct. The BE server License that I have at Site A I have can I transfer to Site B and make it BE MBES?

Gurvinder

As you state -> "I want to backup at site A and send data to Offsite which is Site B which has a tape drive. So D2D2T from Site A to Site B"

For the above reason install Enterprise Server feature and promote Site B as CAS. Site B BE can run as your DR site where jobs are created and you can manage the servers from here. The Jobs can be run on MBES Site A locally to Disk storage and then duplicated to another Disk (B) and then can be duplicated to Tape on CAS i.e Site B BE. This can be achieved in one Backup Job with a backup stage, 2 Duplicate stages.

You can start off with trial and check out the configuration. Make sure on Site B ESO is installed and then on Site A, install MBES feature. Both BE should be of same version.