Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec backup of cluster SQL Server with Microsoft Cluster

rakesh_gupta
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

My customer have two node cluster SQL Server (Microsoft cluster) and database present on the SAN volume  and want to take the SQL database backup throgh backup Exec on robotic libraries directly connected to the SAN swich.

Should i need to deploy Media server on each Cluster SQL server for taking the backup on the robotic libraries(2 drives) directly connected to SAN switch or I need to deploy only remote agent for SQL Server on agent on the SQL server.

Regards

Rakesh

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to backup directly to the tape library from each server, then you would need a full BE licence on each server and a SSO licence for each server to share the tape library.

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

1 Please install remote agent on both the cluster node for SQL

2 Then from backupexec access the cluster node & then select the SQL database to backup to tape library

Ensure your backup exec account should have sys admin, server admin & db creator right you can ensure that by going to SQL studio & connect to the instance & then go to Security & then click on login & then add the backupexec user account if it is not there & then go to server roles to add these rights

Should work fine

Thanks

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Depends on whether you want the backup data to flow through LAN or FC.

FC

-like pkh suggested, you need to install BE media servers on each nodes. You have to purchase SSO license

LAN

-install remote agent on both nodes

Refer to the doc below for backing up databases on MS Cluster:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO11603

Thanks