cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec browse failure onto Synology Rackstation NAS

mcrone
Level 3

We have recently installed Backup Exec with a HP 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader as a way to archive files off a Synology Rackstation NAS.

We have had a number of successful backups, but quite often when we first initiate a one-time backup to tape, when the popup window trys to connect to the Synology Rackstation NAS (connected via CIFS) it is quite regularly giving a browse error. I see the connection in the Rackstation logs, but eventually it just times out in Backup Exec and gives an error. 

Its intermittent, we have had successful jobs, but seems to be happening more than usual. 

Also (though probably unrelated) all of our jobs that complete have the following exception:

Could not completely protect remote computers because the Backup Exec Remote Agent was not installed. A snapshot operation required by this job was unsuccessful. Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.

Given its a Synology NAS, it is not possible to install the Remote Agent. I turn off the snapshot options on the job (eg turn off "Use snapshot technology"). Anyway to stop this error so we lose the "Backed up with exceptions" messages littered throughout the software. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I haven't seen any way to suppress that message. Legally you'd still need a RAWS agent licensed to back up that NAS, and some have suggested installing the RAWS/RALUS agent on the media server.

but check the TN below and see if this helps you at all:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73015

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

Check and make sure that there are no DNS issues between the media server and the NAS, and if need-be, put in an entry into that server's hosts file pointing to the NAS.

Thanks!

mcrone
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not sure DNS is the problem (but will put in the host file anyway) because:

1) I can ping the hostname via cmd prompt whilst Backup Exec is sitting twirling its progress bar before failing

2) I see the connection/login in the NAS logs around the time it fails (though this could just be the O/S mounting the file system). 

CraigV

Hi,

I haven't seen any way to suppress that message. Legally you'd still need a RAWS agent licensed to back up that NAS, and some have suggested installing the RAWS/RALUS agent on the media server.

but check the TN below and see if this helps you at all:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73015

Thanks!

MFIT
Not applicable

Hello All,

Would be really good to know the fix to this issue. I've been able to perform a succesful backup from a NAS system to a windows Server using backup exec 2012 and confirmed all is working. The issue i'm having is restoring information back to the NAS box. I get the below error:

Final error: 0xe000846a - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. Final error category: Resource Errors

Any ideas how to sort this please?