cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec cannot create a recovery checkpoint for the virtual machine

MaximusK
Level 4

I ask for help from the community. run into a problem when backing up a virtual machine, a search (on vox/ google) did not yield results. 

Backup Exec Server: BE version=20.0.1188, OS  Windows  2016 ver 1607 (14393.3204)

Hyper-V host: OS Windows  2016 ver 1607 (14393.3204) with role Hyper-V, Agent VBE 20.0.11.2496

VM: OS Windows  2008R2 + MSQL 2012 SP2

GRT - OFF/ Instant Recovery - OFF

I get the following error:

V-79-40960-38691 - Backup Exec cannot create a recovery checkpoint for the 'SQL' virtual machine. Refer to the Windows Event Log on the Hyper-V host for more details or retry the backup job.

Job Completion Status
Job ended: 17/11/2019 . at 13:01:30
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa0009723 - Backup Exec cannot create a recovery checkpoint for the virtual machine. Refer to the Windows Event Log on the Hyper-V host for more details or retry the backup job.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-40960-38691

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- hvc-cluster V-79-40960-38691 - Backup Exec cannot create a recovery checkpoint for the 'SQL' virtual machine. Refer to the Windows Event Log on the Hyper-V host for more details or retry the backup job.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Manoj,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I attempted to manually checkpoint the VMs from the Hyper-V manager and was unable to do so.  After some investigation, it was discovered that the host server's optical drive had been mapped to both VMs.  After disconnecting the drive from each and rebooting the host I was able to checkpoint my VMs and successfully run virtual-based backups on them.

If it weren't for you pointing me in a different direction, I would likely still be trying to figure this one out.  Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Refer to the Windows Event Log on the Hyper-V host for more details or retry the backup job." 

Have you done that?

Check Event Viewer logs on the Hyper-V hosts as well as the VM. 

good afternoon, of course I first checked all the logs on the server. there are no errors or warnings that could show the reason why the backup is not created.

I checked everything I could. searched here on a forum similar, searched in google but there are no solutions. in doing so, I recreated the new job and got a new error: ( .

Final error: 0xe000942f - Cannot capture a snapshot of the virtual machine volumes. Ensure that the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service is running, the status of the Microsoft Hyper-V VSS writer is Stable and the virtual machine is present on the Hyper-V server.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37935

I also checked the status: vssadmin list writers, vssadmin list providers

and I already created a backup copy of this virtual machine on this host (10 days ago) .

the only change was to add a hard disk to the virtual machine.

at the moment, I make a backup through the agent ( I need MSSQL backups) and everything goes without errors. but there is a task to receive copies of Hyper-V

I am experiencing the exact same issue under the same circumstances.  Problem is, a Google search seems to resolve to this post only and I see that there is no resolution to the issue.  As with the original poster, there are no error messages except those from the app itself.  I am currently getting through it by not backing up the VM's with their hosts but by backing them up via Backup Exec agents on each VM.  According to Backup Exec, this is "acceptable" but not ideal.  As I am building this for a client, I would like to explain to them what they may be losing in return for running virtualized backups this way. 

Better yet, I would prefer to be able to grab my VM backups with the HOSTS, the way the utility is advertised to run.

Thanks

Hi sjchucky1,

What is the Windows version of Hyper-V server where you are facing these problems? Are you able to create checkpoint of the VM from Hyper-V manager?

Would it be possible for you to share the debug logs generated on Hyper-V host when the backup job fails, over email?

kf2013
   VIP   

Can you manually create the checkpoint on Hyper-V Manager?

In the VM settings,"Integration Services" , do "Backup (volume shadow copy) enable?

Manoj,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I attempted to manually checkpoint the VMs from the Hyper-V manager and was unable to do so.  After some investigation, it was discovered that the host server's optical drive had been mapped to both VMs.  After disconnecting the drive from each and rebooting the host I was able to checkpoint my VMs and successfully run virtual-based backups on them.

If it weren't for you pointing me in a different direction, I would likely still be trying to figure this one out.  Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

Glad to know that you were able to resolve the problem!

Version 20.6 Rev 1188

Hi

I'm facing exact the same issue as sjchucky1 - unfortunately I didn't map any CD-ROM's or something else. I checked the event log on the Hyper-V host - nothing - list writers - all stable and running - manual creation of snapshot - runnning

It all worked fine until I installed the latest update - since then I get the issues with the backup of the VM's

I started the job manually - and all is running fine ?!?!?