Did you mean: 

Backup Exec cannot find Tape Drive

shahram_dehghan
Level 4

Hi

I have installed Backup Exec 2010 R3.

I have Tandberg SLR7 (scsi).

I have attached it to server.

In installation procedure it finds that i have i have Tandberg SLR7 and gives the message that "found a driver Tandberg SLR7 and it is not digitally signed by microsoft ,do yoo want to continue ? Continue anyway? and i click yes

after backup exec installation , Backup Exec cannot discover device, and it remains in Discovering device in Devices Tab

I have restarted Server but again it remains at Discovering device

is there any settings that i should do after Backup Exec installation ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if BE isn't up-to-date, I'd suggest doing that by either running LiveUpdate and downloading the patches, including SP1, or doing so manually.

Once done, if this doesn't fix it, open up the Devices tab within BE and right-click your server name before choosing Pause, and then Unpause after 30 seconds.

You don't mention the OS you're using, but if Windows Server 2003, turn off Removable Storage Service.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

As per BE2010R3 HCL your tape drive is compatible but it will be retiring soon.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

Make sure the device shows up in the Windows device manager (sometime the device plays hide n

seek with the OS, check if there are any events generated for device)

Also check if Symantec drivers are installed for the drive.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Check for Any SCSI Timeout errors in the event viwer

Update the SCSi firmware

Powercycle the Tape hardware and the server in the Procedure :

> Power off Tape drive and Shutdown the server.

> Power on the Tape drive and once the Library/loader is Ready power on the server

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if BE isn't up-to-date, I'd suggest doing that by either running LiveUpdate and downloading the patches, including SP1, or doing so manually.

Once done, if this doesn't fix it, open up the Devices tab within BE and right-click your server name before choosing Pause, and then Unpause after 30 seconds.

You don't mention the OS you're using, but if Windows Server 2003, turn off Removable Storage Service.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Restart all Backup Exec services and ones all the services are started then check the ADAMM.log file to see if there is any error when trying to detect the device. This log file will give the error right at the bottom. The location for log file is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs (assuming its a default location for BE installation.

Thanks,

-Sush...