cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec compatible with Active Directory 2008R2

OlafD
Level 5
At the moment we are using old versions of BackupExec (8 and 9). We have a Windows domain with 2000 and 2003 domain controllers. We are going to migrate to Windows 2008 and, the most important thing, we are going to prep the forest and domain level to 2008r2. I am not make a list of all our applications and appliances to see whether they can integrate with AD 2008R2.  For Backup Exec I cannot find whether it is compatible with Active Directory 2008R2. Does anybody know or has experience with it?

Thanks!

Olaf
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec 9.1 won't have been tested wiith 2003 R2 as R2 was release dwhen Backup Exec 9.1 was no ,longer the current Backup Exec version. It is possible that it will install and run - however any problems with stability and/or restoration of anything more advanced than the file system will be your own responsibility.

If you do upgrade to BE 2010 read the software compatibility list carefully as some early Operating System (i.e. NT4) and database technologies (early versions of SQL, Exchange etc) are no longer supported so you may have something else in yoru environment that is compatible with 9.1 but not 2010

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Backup Exec 2010 is the first version to fully support 2008 R2 (for Media Servers and Remote servers) and 12.5 with latest updates was the first version to support 2008 R2 as a remote server - so as you are going to have to upgrade anyway mark BE 2010 as a requirement to protect the new configuration.

OlafD
Level 5

Thanks for the answer. Sorry I replied that late, but I was notified that someone replied on this topic.

Since we noticed in the meanwhile that more applications are not w2k8 compatible, we are planning to raise the domain and forest level to 2003 R2 instead of 2008.
Do you also know whether Backup Exec 8 and 9 support 2003(R2)?

Thanks again!

Olaf

OlafD
Level 5
Does anybody has an answer on my last reply, whether these old versions of Backup Exec(8 and 9) support AD 2003?

Thnx!

Olaf

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
v9.1 is certified for  W2K3 non R2, so no, none of them support that OS

OlafD
Level 5

Thanks Ken, I have found the compatibility chart for 9.1:
http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/products/Datasheets/Data_Protection/bews_91_core_datasheet.pdf

Indeed, in there 2003 is mentioned and not specific R2. I can't imagine it won't work with Active Directory R2 or installation on that OS?

But it does look like we need to upgrade Backup Exec to the latest. That is version 2010?

Thanks again!

Olaf

Colin_Weaver

Backup Exec 9.1 won't have been tested wiith 2003 R2 as R2 was release dwhen Backup Exec 9.1 was no ,longer the current Backup Exec version. It is possible that it will install and run - however any problems with stability and/or restoration of anything more advanced than the file system will be your own responsibility.

If you do upgrade to BE 2010 read the software compatibility list carefully as some early Operating System (i.e. NT4) and database technologies (early versions of SQL, Exchange etc) are no longer supported so you may have something else in yoru environment that is compatible with 9.1 but not 2010

OlafD
Level 5

Thanks for the complete answer!