cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - copy mode backup

IT_Sav
Not applicable

Hi,

I am running Backup Exec 2012 on a windows server.  Backups are run every 3 hours using Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 to a NAS.  These backups are incremental, therefore relying on the files archive bit to know if it should be included in the next backup or not.  Each night Backup Exec is backing up the complete server to tape.

Unfortunately the two products Backup Exec and System Recovery do not appear to work nicely together as one will lock files or will be denied access to resources that the other wants. 

Ideally I would like to do the job using Backup Exec only.  The backup to the NAS will be managed by one job.  A separate job will do a COPY backup (i.e. not reset the archive bit) to tape each night.  As it is one program that is doing the two jobs, if there is a conflict of resources at least it will be aware of the reason for it and will wait rather than fail.

Is there a way to achieve what I am requesting? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dallas

1 REPLY 1

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Be 2012 does not have a copy backup method. However, if you dont want to modify the archivebit, you could perform the backup using modified time from Backup Exec.

Another issue that you might face is while BE and SSR are performing backups simultaneously as they both perform snapshot backups. And certain applications like Exchange would pose an issue as Exchange VSS writers only allow 1 snapshot backup at a time.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/office/bb204080(v=exchg.140).aspx

In general I would suggest you to ensure that the backup windows from different backup solutions do not run at the same time. You might want to space them in such a way that they don't run at the same time.