cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec crash

Niko_Turunen
Level 3

Hey,

Our Backup Exec crashed, causing some of the backup jobs fail and put on hold. The error we got for failed jobs was: "The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.". 

Windows Event log:

----------------------------------------------------

05/31/2015 23:08:58.0
Provider: BEDBG
Channel: Application
Level: Error
Event message: A process crash has been detected.

Faulting application: bengine.exe 14.1.1786.1103

Faulting module: bengine.exe 14.1.1786.1103

Fault offset           0x7686d7

Exception code         0xc0000005.

05/31/2015 22:56:48.954993800
Provider: Service Control Manager
Channel: System
Level: Information
Event message: The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the stopped state.

----------------------------------------------------

I got the event logs and the .dump file saved, but I cant figure out the cause for the crash from them. Could I send those files to someone who could have a look at them and look for the cause of the crash (I wouldnt like to post them here public)? This is first time our Backup Exec crashed, and we have been using it for few years already. It would be good to find the cause of the crash, so we wouldnt miss more backups in the future. 

Backup Exec version:

Backup Exec 2014 - Version 14.1 Rev. 1786 (64-bit)

Backup Exec is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64

Niko Turunen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Deciphering a process crash dump requires access to symbols (and code) and certainly not something which can be done via forums. If the BE 2014 setup is completely patched up and a crash occurs, pls log a formal support case. Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Have you checked the following:

1. That the media server is fully patched with the latest BE 2014 SP and subsequent patches, and that these have been push-installed to your remote servers?

2. Any antivirus installed isn't perhaps scanning and blocking the BE services? If so, put in exclusions for them.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Deciphering a process crash dump requires access to symbols (and code) and certainly not something which can be done via forums. If the BE 2014 setup is completely patched up and a crash occurs, pls log a formal support case. Thanks.

Niko_Turunen
Level 3

Hey,

Server is fully patched. So far the crash has only happened once. If the crash happens again, I'll contact your support.

Thanks