cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec documentation

Fred12
Level 4

Hi All

Support seems pretty poor for Backup Exec.
Can anyone post a link to the documentation so I can try to resolve my problems myself?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fred12
Level 4

Thanks to all for your kind help but after three days of trying I am giving up. sad

The fact that it wont run on anything other than unsupported OS is scary enough surprise but I have spent all of today trying to install it on an XP machine and I cannot even get that to work.

It is all just to complicated and unreliable for my needs.

Thanks anyway.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=productlanding&key=15047

Thats the link to Backup Exec product family landing page for self help.

There is also a short friendly URL for Symantec Support site - http://symwise.symantec.com

Please let us know in case you have any difficulties in using/finding what you need on the Backup Exec Product Family support site.

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

In addition to that here's the Agent/Option landing page: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3885

Fred12
Level 4

Thanks but this just seems to show how to install and configure everything.

I want to know how I can restore file from a PC if all my servers burn down and all I have left is my offsite bkf files.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Seems you're looking for documentation on Disaster Recovery (DR)?

Here's a collection of technotes on DR - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83015. I know this may not be a 100% of what you're looking for, but will help you recover a server (or media server) up from scratch.

In addition to this, you can also refer to the Administrator's Guide for more instructions on other basic tasks which need to be performed during a DR like: Creating Backup-to-Disk folders, Inventory the media sets, setting up and running Catalog jobs, etc.

You can find Admin Guide links for all BE versions here - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/adminguides-scls-hcls-backup-exec-all-versions

I'd also recommend you to see one of our topic pages under "How to" on the Backup Exec Product Family landing page called "Prepare for Disaster Recovery". This page contains some more useful information on DR along with a video which might interest you.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if support is poor, then stick around on Connect. There are a lot of people who are able to assist.

Thanks!

Fred12
Level 4

Thanks Craig.
Certainly seem to get a faster and more enthusiatic response here than through the normal support channels.

Fred12
Level 4

Hi SuperBrain, these are very useful links and have helped me a lot.

Just a quick one though: If, as I said, all I have is my storage device and a PC is there any way I can get at the data? I a DR emergency I would like to get vital systems up and running on a local PC to keep the business running and then go about rebuilding our servers. Is this possible or does the Backup Exec system need to be on a server?

Thanks

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Backup Exec doesn't really have to sit on a server machine/OS. You can install it on a desktop OS, create a backup-to-disk folder targeting the location where your .bkf files are, run inventory, catalog all required media's and perform restore of the required files (Note: I'm only talking about flat file restore here)

But, in case you need 'vital systems' up and running, you will need a similar pre-disaster environment created for the DR to work. (coz of obvious limitations, you cant rebuild a Win2008 on a desktop machine)

Hope this helps!

Fred12
Level 4

Thanks for your time SuperBrain.

Unfortunately every step just leaves me with more questions.
I have installed it on a PC OK (odd that it would not do this yesterday!).

How do I connect to the server which has my offsite backup files. If I try it complains that none of the services are running. How do I get my data back from here?

This is where the documentation is seriously lacking.

Thanks

CraigV

Hi Fred,

Just to clarify the post above yours...you can install BE 2010 ONLY on Windows XP in terms of desktop OS's...Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 are not supported.

Thanks!

Fred12
Level 4

Seems to have installed OK on my windows 7 PC; albiet having some issues running it.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Fred,

Issue's you're experiencing are independant in BE world. So you may not find solutions to all your queries in one article/document. Example: Unable to start Backup Exec services and Trying to know how to access the bkf files located on an offsite machine. (but i certainly understand the frustration here!)

In order to access those files located offsite, you will first need to get those files local to the media server, create a b2d folder targeting that location, inventory the device and re-build the catalogs. Once cataloging is complete, you should be able to access the content stored within those bkf files using Backup Exec restore job.

Note: In my comment above, "How to create a backup to disk folder" or "Unable to create a backup to disk folder" could be ONE issue on which articles are available with solutions

and

"Catalogs failing" or "How to create a catalog job" etc is another issue on which there will be a different set of documentations availble.

similar for Inventory issues as well..  Because these situations are so environment specific it is very difficult to have solutions for everything available in one single document. smiley

Fred12
Level 4

Hi Again SuperBrain,

You may need to exhibit some patience here... I am a developer not a server person but I have been lumberred with supporting the whole IT function so this is all new to me and the previous person did not document anything.

When I go into backup exec on my PC it asks me to connect to a Media server... I don't have one it all just burnt down in a nasty fire (if this was a real DR) which is why I am trying to recover data from my offsite backup.

If I don't connect to a media server then BE just closed down so what am I to do?

Thanks again

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Media Server = the same server on which Backup Exec is installed.

Fred12
Level 4

This is getting more confusing rather than clearer.

I have installed this on a PC not a server.
NO services were installed so I cannot run them, (can't imagine why I would even want services runnig when all I want to do is restore data!) so what do I do?

Sorry to sound dumb but this really is not my area and this software seems incredibly complicated for what it does.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Sorry for the misunderstanding.. I can explain this smiley

Backup Exec software works on a bunch of services it installed on the machine. If any one of the service failes to start wont allow you to enter the BE console. Following are the main services it needs started in order for the user to be able to access the console:

-BE Server
-BE Job Enginer
-BE Agent Browser
-BE Device and Media
-BE Remote Agent
For a complete list of services see - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH195898

The term Media Server is used for any machine which has the main Backup Exec software installed on it (it can even be a Win XP machine with BE installed on it.. we would still term that as a media server. This should clear some of your confusion smiley)

Fred12
Level 4

So was Craig correct... the backup software can only run on an XP PC/Laptop?

CraigV

...won't be admitted, but yes.

Thanks!

CraigV

Fred: You say that the services were not installed...might sound like a dumb question, but is the BE Remote Console maybe not installed on the PC instead of full BE itself?

Have you tried to repair BE through Add/Remove Programs?

Thanks!