cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec drive space issue

kennyb
Level 5

We are using BE2010 R3 w/SP4 and some days (usually after a full job) the local drive space on the BE server goes from 200+ Gb down to less than 80Gb. We have alerts setup if the drive space dips below a certain amount and we get these alerts in the middle of the night. When we check the drives in the morning they are back up to the 200+ Gb available.

The backup files are flat, .bak, and the system state going to an RDX1000, and since there are no agents on this server, I don't think there's any GRT to worry about on the local drive side.

Does BE2010 use the local drive for staging a backup even without GRT or going through a restore job? Is that why the drive space is being used during the backup procedure?

thanks,
Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are you sure it's not backing up data which fills up the drive, and then having data expired in the media sets which frees up disk space on the drive? Might also be some sort of snapshot that's being put on the drive temporarily.

If no GRT to tape is involved, then there is no staging. Even GRT-based backups to disk are never staged as they're already there.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are you sure it's not backing up data which fills up the drive, and then having data expired in the media sets which frees up disk space on the drive? Might also be some sort of snapshot that's being put on the drive temporarily.

If no GRT to tape is involved, then there is no staging. Even GRT-based backups to disk are never staged as they're already there.

Thanks!

kennyb
Level 5

The media set for the weekday is set to overwrite each night since we only use a single tape cartridge per week. The expiration for the media is 0 hr for overwrite and append and is set to overwrite on a nightly basis.

The only thing it might be is I pointed the SQL backups to the BE2014 server and it's set to purge SQL backup setup older than 5 days. So when the backup script runs, it might create the new bak files on the drive before removing the old ones.

I just want to rule out if it's BE2014 related.

thanks.