cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec duplicate backup jobs malfunctioning

Dennis_S_
Level 4

Hi, as per instructions from Symantec a while back I decided to use the Duplicate Backup Jobs in Backup Exec to make a copy of the last full when it ran to external storage.

When it ran, instead of creating the individual files, it created BKF files which isn't what Symantec told me it would do.

Also it gave a generic hardware error after it placed 26.1GB of data and the drive is a 2TB hard drive formatted with NTFS.  The drive volume is still there. It is mounted on a USB 2.0 port on a Synology NAS.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to restore the files after the full runs.  Do I attach a duplicate backup job or is there a way to attach a full restore?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Dennis_S_
Level 4

I removed the usb storage drive from the media server's "Storage" and wiped out all the files on it and also removed it from the backup job so there's no more duplicate backup job.  Then I rescheduled to do full restore through UNC path.  I don't think this is going to work but I'll see what happens when I get back to it tomorrow morning.

I think the drive needs to be shared from the filer for this to work and in order to do that I guess it has to be set up as an iSCSI target since the filer is on a VM through hyperv (which doesn't support USB, microsoft really needs to add more features to this).  If it doesn't work, then that is the reason why it doesn't.

I'll come back and post again if it works.  If not I'll have to call support.

Thanks

Dennis_S_
Level 4

Ok so update to this I am still restoring project drives to UNC path USB drive on Synology rackstation.  It is going fine although only 250Mb/min and also doing incremental backup still at the same time.  I see that it is restoring actual files so I'm just going to wait til it finishes.

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

The backup you mentioned in your original posting is working as designed by creating BKF files.  A backup job will not copy files (ever) to a backup target.  Based on your third posting, it sounds like you are restoring files ok so the backup(s) must be working.

If you decide you still want to duplicate any backup, just remember to expect to see BKF files (assuming this is backup to disk) on the backup target.