cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec duplicate backup to external USB

gsmith411
Level 3

All, I need some help, one more time.  I have a file server with Backup Exec 2010 R3 installed.  I am running weekly full backups and daily incremental backups  of  the local C:, D: & E: drives to a local (G:) drive.  Once a month (first Saturday), I would like to duplicate that full backup to an external USB Drive (K:) to take off site.  I configured what I thought was a correct policy, but it failed last night, and I don't understand why.  Here is my policy:

The Policy contains 2 templates and one template rule:

First template is "First Saturday Full backup", It has a backup selection list that includes C:, D:, E:, System State & shadow copy Components.  It runs on the first Saturday of the month at 11:00pm, and it completed successfully last night.

Second template is "Duplicate Full Backup to USB",  The Source template is checked as "First Saturdy Full Backup" with the device and Media set to be the External USB B2D Folder (K:\backups). 

Template Rules are set as "Duplicate All backup sets that were created by <Template A> using <Template B> as schedule."  <Template A> is "First Saturday Full Backup" and <Template B> is "Duplicate Full Backup to USB"

When I checked the Job Monitor this morning, the First Saturday Full Backup was still running (takes about 6 hrs to run), but the "Duplicate Full Backup to USB" had already failed.  My question is, why had the second template already failed, when it shouldn't have even run, until after the first template finished?  a few hours later, teh backup completed successfully, but the duplicate to USB part had already failed, so I didn't get a copy to the USB Drive.

The error was:

Job ended: Saturday, September 01, 2012 at 11:00:05 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00081d2 - The script associated with this job contained no valid selections.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33234

I'm not sure what valid selection its looking for, because I thought the valid source for the duplicate was the full backup that was still being performed. 

Your assistance is greatly appreciate.  Obviously, I'm missing something, but I don't know what,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does your duplicate template have the schedule "run according the rule of the policy" and it is linked to the backup template?  It should be set up like the following

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does your duplicate template have the schedule "run according the rule of the policy" and it is linked to the backup template?  It should be set up like the following