cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec fails after installing Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
Hi, I have an issue with my Backup Exec 9.1. I have it installed on a Windows Server 2003 machine, which has Exchange Server 2003 installed. Exchange 2003 is updated to Service Pack 2.

We back up exchange mailboxes from the local machine, and network shares and other data from a remote domain controller, which also runs Server 2003.

I recently upgraded to Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, and then our problems began. The backup works from the remote server, but fails at the point that we try and backup Exchange mailboxes. The error message we get is "A timeout occurred waiting for completion of media server data processing" - the email that we receive in failure says "The job failed with the following error: The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Please check for network errors."

Backups from the remote DC still work, and that also has Windows Server 2003 SP2 installed. It is the LOCAL DC with Exchange 2003 on that is causing the issue. I installed Backup Exec SP4a to see if that would fix the problem, including reinstalling the remote agent on the remote DC, but backing up the Exchange mailboxes still causes the backup to fail.

Please could you give me some help?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
As an aside, Windows Firewall has been turned off on both of my domain controllers.

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
I turned on high logging for the backup job last night. I had previously thought that BE never managed to connect to the Exchange Mailboxes / Information Store. Now I know that it wasn't the case.

The timeout actually occurred during the first users mailbox. It's backing up BlackberryHandheldInfo and then times out.

"The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Please check for network errors.
A timeout occurred waiting for completion of media server data processing"

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
This is still ongoing and I've had no suggestions. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
Why have I still not had a response from anyone on Veritas 'support' for this?

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
Further update, is that I took the mailbox of my user (user A) that's causing the fail every night, and it failed on the next user (user B) in the line.

Previously it had failed when it reached "Top of Information Store" of user A, now last night it failed when reaching "Top of Information Store.Calendar" of user B.

Doesn't really provide me with any insight, but maybe it will for someone else.

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
STILL not one response from a Veritas agent after one week.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

1)Please check if the Remote agent has been installed correctly on the remote system and its version is same as Backup Exec version(10d).If not then reinstall the remote agent.

2)Add the IP address and Host name of the Remote server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on media server and IP address and Host name of the Media server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on Remote Server. To do this, you will need to locate the lmhosts.sam file and edit it with notepad. Add the target servers name to bottom of the file, and save. This might require a reboot for it to get loaded in to the system.

3)Please check if the Port 10000, which is the default port used by NDMP(Network Data Management Protocol) is not used by any other application. If it is used by another application, please follow the steps given in the following

Technote:
TITLE: How to change the port that NDMP uses in VERITAS Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255498.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.