cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec fails on system state with "access denied" due to AV

mipouk12345
Level 2

Hi there, 

We are using backup exec 2015 and backup works fine with Sophos turned off ( as in i need to stop all Sophos services) but as soon as i allow it to run again the system state fails. Ive tried adding exclusions to the sysvol and netlogon shares amongst other things and nothing seems to work.

Is there something that Backup Exec needs to access in the system state that most antivirus products block by default? Surely there must be an easy and known fix for this?

Hope you can help, thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mipouk12345
Level 2

The fix was to disable behaviour monitoring in Sophos. Fixed and all working now. Thanks for your replies

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

steves_2
Level 4

You could issue a "net stop savservice"  as a pre command  and a "net start savservice" as a post command in the backup job.

Make sure the command is run on each server being backed up

Cheers

Steve

mipouk12345
Level 2

Thanks Steve, I did think of doing this and created two batch scripts, however even though my user is domain admin, enterprise admin, local admin etc it still makes me right click and run as administrator each time otherwise the command fails with a system error 5 -  access denied. If i log on to the windows server as Administrator then it works, but we prefer to use a different account to the standard admin one. Can you think of any way round this?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically AV packages can be set to allow all access requests from a listed of named processes

you should probably setup Sophos to allow all the BE process to access data without being scanned or blocked by AV

- for info on the sort of thiings to think about see the example in http://www.veritas.com/docs/000022954

steves_2
Level 4

Does it do the same just putting the command not a batch file ?.

I was talking putting these commands in the backup job pre/post command section

I though backup exec agent would execute these commands on the servers in question. 

This works for me.

You could possibly run a scheduled task on the servers to stop and start the sav service during times of the backup window

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

That sounds like User Access Control might be getting in the way

mipouk12345
Level 2

The fix was to disable behaviour monitoring in Sophos. Fixed and all working now. Thanks for your replies