cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec fails to scan or inventory

Eighth
Level 3

Example of the error:

(Job: "Inventory Device 00059") Inventory Device 00059 -- The job failed with the following error: The parameter is incorrect

Also, while running Daily backups, I first get a message that the job failed because "The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed. " and later get a second message that it succeded. I am unable to verify the exact state of the drive because it is not updating when I scan it. Part of me suspects the connection to the Drive is broken, but I can connect to the web interface just fine. Does anyone have any ideas how to get scanning working again?

17 REPLIES 17

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

Is this a tape drive?  If so, do a full power cycle :

1. Power Off the Server completely 
2. Power off the Tape Drive then 
3. Power on the Tape Drive  wait till it is at a 'Ready' State then
4. Power on the Server 

Check Windows Events for System Events: Event ID's 5,7,9,11,15 These errors point to hardware errors.

Check the Web interface and make sure there isnt anything stuck in the drive.
 restart the Backup Exec services and run an inventory

Eighth
Level 3

This is a tape drive, I have done the four steps above, but they had no effect. An inventory still causes the tape drive to be marked as offline when it runs.

I have checked the event viewer for those errors, but there are only informational message under those IDs.

I have checked the web interface and there is nothing stuck in the drive, (although there was, before we replaced the drive)

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Have you verified that the tape drive is using the correct drivers... this can be done by running Tapeinst.exe

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73431

lmosla
Level 6

What version of Backup Exec are you using?  Make sure the tape drive is listed in the Hardware Compatibility list.  What hardware / software is supported by Backup Exec?

VipulK
Level 4

Please make sure that Symantec Divers are installed on the Tape Drive and Drivers on the Robotic Library are set to Unknown Medium Changer (Microsoft Drivers). 

Following links would be helpfull:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24414

Trinee_BE
Level 4

Go to the devices tab and disable and delete the tape drive from the backup exec console and add the tape drive again. Perform inventory job and check.

Let me if this is a stand alone tape drive or auto loader.

Eighth
Level 3

I have run Tapeinst, but get the following output: 

Removing the IDR CD-ROM burner driver (drvmcdb.sys) association for tape drives.
Updating Symantec inf file
Installing Symantec "halfinch.sys" for "SCSI\SequentialHP______Ultrium_5-SCSI__Y5BW"
Driver load failure 0x800F020B for SCSI\SequentialHP______Ultrium_5-SCSI__Y5BW
The device instance does not exist in the hardware tree.

Installing Symantec "halfinch.sys" for "SCSI\SequentialHP______Ultrium_5-SCSI__Y5BW"

Installing Symantec "halfinch.sys" for "SCSI\SequentialIBM_____ULTRIUM-TD3_____93G0"
Driver load failure 0x800F020B for SCSI\SequentialIBM_____ULTRIUM-TD3_____93G0

Installing Symantec "halfinch.sys" for "SCSI\SequentialIBM_____ULTRIUM-TD3_____93G0"
Driver load failure 0x800F020B for SCSI\SequentialIBM_____ULTRIUM-TD3_____93G0

Installation complete.
I know that this hardware is supported because before this happened, we had another drive of the same model that broke and need to be replaced. The new loader will not connect. 

The new hardware is an autoloader. I am using Backup Exec 2012 Version 14.0 Rev 1798.

lmosla
Level 6

Can you see the device in Windows?  If you can see the device, what type of drivers does it have listed?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Check that your tape library and tape drive is supported.  See the HCL below

BE 2012 HCL

2) In the Windows Device Mgr, check that the tape library is listed as an Unknown Medium Changer and that the tape drive has a Symantec driver.  Make sure that the tape library and tape drive are functioning correctly.  If the tape library or tape drive are not listed or functioning correctly, then BE will not be able to use them.  You would then need to contact the tape library/drive vendor to correct the problem

3) If the tape library and tape drive are listed in the Windows Device Mgr and are functioning correctly, then run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape library and tape drive.  Make sure that you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.  If there are any errors, get them replaced.

Eighth
Level 3

I have checked the HCL, my MSL 4048 is in there. My tape drive state as ready and passes a Wellness test.

There is no tape library or tape drives listed in the device manager. There are only the network adaptors

HP NC380T PCIe DP Multifunc Gig Server Adpaptor 

HP NC380T PCIe DP Multifunc Gig Server Adpaptor 

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If windows is not seeing the device then backup exec will not see and interact with it correctly... when you powercycle the library and media server is it still not visible in device manager?? 

Eighth
Level 3

That is correct, I have tried power cycling the library and server twice now to no effect. However, I can connect from the server to the library's website with no issue.

lmosla
Level 6

If you are using Windows Server 2003 make sure the Removable Storage Service RSM is stopped and disabled.

If it still does not show in Windows Device manager try uninstalling and reinstall the tape library software. If it still does not show in Windows you should contact the manufacturer for further troubleshooting.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you connect to your library using its WebUI, you are connecting to it via the LAN.  This connection is not the same as the direct connection between the server and the tape library.

The direct connection between the tape library and the server is not working so the library is not detected in the Windows Device Manager.  You need to get your vendor/hardware people to help you connect the library properly to the server.  It needs to appear in the Windows Device Manager as a Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  Otherwise, BE will not be able to use it.

VipulK
Level 4

I would suggest you to contact your vendor on this issue, as Windows does not detect the RL. This seems an issue with SCSi configuration or time out.

DNI_1
Level 3

Check SYSTEM logs at Event Viewer and filter for errors with Event IDs 5,7,9,11,15.

You should probably find one of those event IDs detecting errors of some kind that you could take it up with tape vendor.

**If the Windows Device Manager itself couldn't detect the device, despite powercycling the device, you can't expect any software to detect the tape device.

Hope this makes it clear.

Eighth
Level 3

Thanks everyone, it seems that the device name on our intermediary fiber switch needed to be updated to match the new device.