cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec for Linux Agent NAS support

KELSHIN
Level 3

I want to backup NAS device Data. NAS is NFS protocol. Backup Server is Backup Exec(windows), and I installed for Linux Agent on Linux Server. Linux Server is mount NAS device by NFS. Can Backup Exec support ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You should be able to backup NFS data using the Linux Agent, however I am not sure if it work if backing up directly from the NAS. If the NFS shares are accessible by an actual Linux server, then you can install the Linux Agent on that Linux server and backup the NFS data.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

VJware
Level 6

This may help - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH189560

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The document referenced earlier assumes you are backing up the NAS directly. It may not be relevant to you because BE cannot access the data on your NAS using a UNC path to a share. You can try accessing the data on the NAS from your Linux server by following mount points. This is a property of a backup job under Files/Folders

KELSHIN
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

This document is CIFS backup via windows agent.

I try to backup NFS data(NAS) via Linux agent.

Even Can I backup NFS data via Linux agent ?

and

It is supported?

VJware
Level 6

You should be able to backup NFS data using the Linux Agent, however I am not sure if it work if backing up directly from the NAS. If the NFS shares are accessible by an actual Linux server, then you can install the Linux Agent on that Linux server and backup the NFS data.

KELSHIN
Level 3

I understand it cannot backing up directly from the NAS.

So, I install the Linux Agent on Linux server and backup the NFS data.

Can VERITAS support this backup flow?

VJware
Level 6

Yes.

KELSHIN
Level 3

Thank you for support.

KELSHIN
Level 3

Sorry.I try to additional questions.

NAS device is NetApp Storage.

VJware
Level 6

If its a NetApp device, instead look at the NDMP option.

Else, CIFS / NFS will work as well.

KELSHIN
Level 3

Do we necessary NDMP option?

or

Can we backup via Linux Agent on Linux server ? 

Colin_Weaver

Wherther or not you use the NDMP Option depends on whether your device is on the Hardware Compatibility list (for NDMP) and or whether or not the Linux Operating System is supported by the our Linux agent so you need to look at the Software Compatibiluty List. If you cannot do either of these than you would have to look at CIFS (share level) backups

However the content of the HCL/SCL documents is not end of the decision making as the type of data stored on the disk storage also affectes the backup and, more importantly, the  restore methods. For instance if you have an NDMP Option compatible device (such as a NetApp) but use it to mount a LUN to an Exchange server or as a an ESX datatsore then the NDMP option would work BUT you woud get no GRT capability within the LUN so your restore process (for one file, e-mail or VM) would be very, very difficult.

VJware
Level 6

NDMP is not necessary. You can backup the data via CIFS / NFS as well.

Since its a NetApp device, you can actually use the KB which I posted in my first reply for CIFS method. From a licensing perspective, you require a remote agent (windows or linux) which you already have.

To clarify further, you can either add the NetApp device directly and use the CIFS method or you can present the data via NFS to a remote Linux server and then back it up from the Linux server.

KELSHIN
Level 3

Once we contact the Japan support, came the answer that it is "not" supported.

The Would it texts is described to be supported ?

"via Linux Agent on Linux server can support backup NAS data."

VJware
Level 6

The Agent for Windows / Linux cannot be installed on the NAS. So, depends upon how you present the shares to a remote server (Via SMB /CIFS/ NFS), a share-level backup is made.

KELSHIN
Level 3

I understand I cannot install Linux Agent on the NAS.

I understand I can backup Linux Agent via NFS on the NAS.

Is the correct understanding?

I received reply that it cannot support this bakcup flow from Veritas Japan Support Center.

VJware
Level 6

Yes, you can backup the shares on the NAS when presented via CIFS/NFS.

KELSHIN
Level 3

Although thing and not be supported from  Veritas Japan Support Center, do no problem even if you set?

VJware
Level 6
Would you msg me the case number which you have with the japan support center ? Thanks.

KELSHIN
Level 3

We were in contact with the department by Email.

Partner Sales Engineering
Technology Sales & Services
Veritas Technologies Japan LLC

I contact to Distributor.I heard same answer.