cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec for MS SQL 2012

chinchillaking
Not applicable

Dear All,

I check Backup Exec 2012 Software Compatibility List (SCL) did not mention MS SQL 2012, will Backup Exec support backup and restore MS SQL 2012?

Is any patch release support it? Many thanks.

Best regards,

Chung

12 REPLIES 12

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As long as it is not listed in the SCL it will not be supported. (it may work).

Note that SQL 2012 is released only two weeks ago.

Check the comments of Colin Weaver in this topic:
http://forum.support.veritas.com/connect/pt-br/forums/sql-server-2012-backupexec-support

Marshmallow
Not applicable

In the updated SCL:

SQL 2012 has a feature called "AlwaysOn Availability Groups" which is not currently supported by this release of Backup Exec 2012. This feature will be supported in
a future release of Backup Exec. All other functions of SQL 2012 are supported by Backup Exec 2012.

Any news on this front?

~kevin

JuergenB
   VIP   
I have a pair of SQL 2012 HA Servers with a HA Group. As i was told by BE i can backup SQL db´s that are not part of the HA Group. It doesn´t backup any SQL db´s at all. SQL 2012 will be supported in R2 ??

RLeon
   VIP   

Let me try to clear everything up (if that is at all possible...).

First of all, BE2010 does not support SQL 2012.
For SQL 2012, you have to use BE2012.
(So when I say BE2010 supports some mode further down this post, I'm really referring to using BE2010 with previous-version SQL servers.)

You need to get the latest June 2012 version of the BE2012 Software Compatibility List:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581
With this newer document-version, you will see SQL 2012 mentioned.

In SQL 2012, there are 4 HA modes/solutions. (If you don't count the replication feature as HA. Well, some people don't...)

1. "AlwaysOn Failover Cluster Instances"
This is just your good old MS SQL failover cluster, where 2 or more hosts have shared access to the same disk(s) (via fiber SAN, etc.), but with only one host being able to read-write the disk(s) at any given time.
Backup Exec 2010 and 2012 support this HA mode.
You have to use the SQL server's virtual name/ip in Backup Exec for all backup and restores.

2. "Database mirroring"
The good old MS SQL db mirroring.
Just backup the dbs from the "principle" host (A.k.a., source host, primary host, etc.).
Leave the mirror-db-host alone; you can't/don't need to back it up.

3. "Log shipping"
Pretty much the same as Database mirroring; you have to backup the dbs from the "primary" host only.

4. "AlwaysOn Availability Groups"
This is the new and exciting HA mode in SQL.
Backup Exec 2010 and 2012 do not support this, yet. (BE2010 might never will...)
That means if your dbs are configured with this HA mode, you cannot back them up in Backup Exec.
Additional notes:
If you are familiar with the MS Exchange 2010 DAG HA mode, I can tell you now that this AlwayOn AG is pretty much the exact same thing. Essentially it is just a cluster of hosts that replicate (not share access) dbs between themselves. In Exchange DAG, you would use its virtual name/ip in Backup Exec for backups and restores. BE will decide from which hosts it will backup the dbs from. (From the hosts that currently has the "passive" copy of the db by default, I think).

Seeing that Exchange DAG has already been supported by Backup Exec for a while now, I believe that the SQL AlwaysOn AG HA mode will be supported soon.

You can look up everything I just said from here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190202

RLeon

JuergenB
   VIP   
Thanks RLeon for the info. But that doesn´t help. BE 2012 can´t backup SQL 2012 Server. HA enabled or not, it doesn´t get access to the database. The service account has local admin and SQL 2012 sysadmin rights. It still won´t backup my SQL 2012 Servers...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...try getting onto the BE 2012 R2 Beta program and ask this question on those forums...in some way or another, BE 2012 will end up having support for SQL 2012.

alternatively, put it in as an Idea in that section.

JuergenB
   VIP   
Hi CraigV a Backup of a plain db of SQL 2012 should be support. Is there any difference in setting up the service account for SQL 2008 and SQL 2012 i missed.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

There should be, no.

Otherwise script a backup of the SQL DBs through SQL itself, and then use BE to pick up those flat-files in the meantime.

JuergenB
   VIP   
Hi CraigV if this is the way i have to backup my data, i can kick BE2012 . And get my MS DPM 2012 running. Or i will evaluate ARCServer.. But i don´t now what would be a better solution. At least MS DPM 2012 is free ... and i got it running on hyper-v guest within 3 hours of work... Symantec should fix there products ...

RLeon
   VIP   

Didn't know that! Thanks for pointing it out. So no log shipping then...

As for JuergenB's problem, if AlwaysOn AG is used, I guess it is not suprising that BE2012 doesn't even "see" the DBs, because the SCL clearly states it is currently (Jul/2012) not supported.

RLeon

JuergenB
   VIP   

I don´t use AlwaysOn in my test right now.

I just wanted to backup SQL 2012 databases. It´s a bug/problem within BE2012.
And it has been identified in the past, (March 2012 by Collin Weaver).

But Symantec seems not to be interrested in a fix.

SP1 and SP1a has been released in the past and no fix seems available.

M(