cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec for Windows Servers (core) versus BE Quickstart

johny
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Quickstart comes with OEM tape drives.  I'm having a lot of trouble finding what it contains.
The Install manual for BEWS says is runs on W2K3 and XP servers, and also:
"Backup Exec workstation agent software protects unlimited remote workstations running on Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows Me, and Windows 98."

The ONLY mention of Quickstart is in the Install Manual (I can't find it anywhere else):
"Installs on and protects any supported version of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000. Also includes Backup Exec agent software for workstations running on Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows Me, and Windows 98."

1) does that really mean that Quickstart will not run on a XP server?
2) is there a difference between "unlimited workstations" on BEWS and just "workstations" on Quickstart?
3) is there a difference between workstations that are always connected to a server and Desktops/Laptops that are frequently remote or otherwise not connected?  Is the DLO option needed for EVERY workstation or just the remote/non-connected ones?  IE, will BEWS back up an unlimited number of connected workstations without the DLO option?  Same for Quickstart?
4) if Quickstart will run on an XP server, can it still back up workstations?
5) As I understand it, to to anything other than possibly the above, I have to upgrade Quickstart to a full BEWS.

Is there a difference between 11d and 12 in the answers to any of the above questions?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1)  A BackupExec media server can be any supported Windows OS, so it should run fine on XP.

2)  All versions of BackupExec (so far, anyway) will backup an unlimited number of workstation OS machines with no extrac licensing.  You do need to install the Remote Agent for a full Disaster Recovery type backup

3)  from the description of DLO

You do NOT need DLO to backup desktops or laptops (see above), but DLO makes it easier to manage User Data

4) Yes

5)  Yes, to use any database agent  or to backup any remote ServerOS machines,  you will need the full version of BackupExec

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Dano_Oliveira
Level 4
Johny,
Quickstart is the OEM Version of Backup Exec that comes bundled with various tape drives. It can only support a single Media Server and you need to upgrade to the full Backup Exec 12 for Windows Core license to protect remote servers and databases or groupware.(Other Agents/Options might be required as well). The only agent/option that can be purchased and can used with BE Quickstart Edition is the Library Expansion Option.

The Full BEWS version does come with a 5 user DLO pack and after that you will have to purchase more.  DLO is installed on every Desktop or Laptop you want to protect.  They are a per machine and not concurrent licenses.

There is not diffence in what you have asked between Backup Exec 11d and 12.  If you feel this is more than what you need, you may want to look at the SBS version of Backup Exec:

Also, you may want to contact sales to make sure you get the right product for your business:
Call Us: 1-800-631-8124
Our highly trained sales consultants can help answer your questions about Symantec's enterprise solutions and direct you to an authorized reseller.

Thanks,

johny
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Dano-
I already know what you answered - that part is readily available in Symantec's documentation.  But the questions I asked are not answered anywhere that I can find.  You talked around question #3, but didn't address questions #1,2 or 4 at all.  I would like a specific answer to each question.

Let me say that I am only interested in simple tape backup to a tape drive on the single server, with desktops always connected locally - nothing fancy like the continuous protection.

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1)  A BackupExec media server can be any supported Windows OS, so it should run fine on XP.

2)  All versions of BackupExec (so far, anyway) will backup an unlimited number of workstation OS machines with no extrac licensing.  You do need to install the Remote Agent for a full Disaster Recovery type backup

3)  from the description of DLO

You do NOT need DLO to backup desktops or laptops (see above), but DLO makes it easier to manage User Data

4) Yes

5)  Yes, to use any database agent  or to backup any remote ServerOS machines,  you will need the full version of BackupExec

johny
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Thanks, this is just hte info I needed.

Dano_Oliveira
Level 4
I apologize if my answers we missing some key information for you, but I think Ken answered them specifically.
If you still have unknowns please let me know I'll get you the info you need to make the right decision.