cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec hangs when opening job properties, new job, or new selections list

ranley
Level 3

Backup Exec hangs when opening job properties, new job, or new selections list. I have repaired the database, restored blank database, uninstalled and reinstalled BackupExec 12.5, and still  when I go to create a new job or selections list it just hangs indefinitely.

The only way I found to get around it is to open Task Manager and kill beremote.exe manually. The new job/selection list interface opens up immediately but it's of no use becase without the remote agent service running I can't see selection details.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ranley
Level 3

Hi everyone.

I uninstalled BE12.5 yesterday and installed a trial version of BackupExec 2010. I was able to create a new job and new selection lists, etc. Will consider purchasing BE 2010 now.

Any idea why this is? I'm glad it's working but disappointed that BE 12.5 failed. I suspect incompatibility with Sharepoint 2010, even though I reinstalled BE 12.5 without the Sharepoint agent option.

Kind regards,

Ranley

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Don't have an answer for you, sounds like you have done all the troubleshooting you can

I have set the support flag on  this thread, tho, to call it to the attention of the Symantec Techs monitoring the boards

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Could you check and confirm if there are any Events generated in the Event viewer??

Also you said that you had to kill beremote process everytime.... is that process taking high CPU usage??

Thanks,

-Sush...

ranley
Level 3

Hi Sush... There are no useful events in the event log at the point where BackupExec hangs.

However, a few seconds after I try to create a new job or selection list, beremote.exe takes up about 50% of CPU usage which I believe is higher than usual. It's almost as if it's in a loop or trying to do something. I have to kill it to make BackupExec responsive again - but the "View by Resource" list is empty and it says "Connection with server failed. Hit F5 to refresh" because beremote.exe is stopped.

Do you know what might be causing beremote.exe to be spinning up this way?

Regards,
Ranley

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Hi Ranley,

Check if the following dcoument apply

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63806

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH59033

mae sure the backup exec account have proper rights and permission

i.e the account should have logan as batch job right,logon as service, should be a domain admin etc

had seen such issue where in there was a conflict with Quest software and also check if any other application using port 10000 as Beremote agent runs on port 10000

ranley
Level 3

Hi. Thanks for your post.

I checked the first link - but it does not apply beacuse it's already BE ver 12.5 with SP4 and all updates.

The second link, registered PVCalendar.ocx successfully. Restarted services. No change - problem still occurs.

Will reboot server and if needed run repair installation later tonight.

Thanks,

Ranley

ranley
Level 3

Update: I rebooted the server and ran a repair on BackupExec. No change.

Any other ideas?

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

As with your earlier post it seems you have tried doing repair & reinstall of backupexec several times try doing repair for MDAC. you can search for mdac.inf & right click on file & click on install & provide windows installation disk & then after restarting the computer see if it helps

Thank You

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

How is MDAC being repaired going to solve this?

The reason why I ask is because on my servers that run BE, none of them have MDAC installed...??? Yet they all work successfully, and without it being needed... indecision

sammy_perfect
Level 5

If your server are win2008 running BE then mdac wont be shown but prior to win2008 like win2003  if mdac have any issue then with BE it would be normal behaviour were it would take lot of  time to load backupexec or few other issue so as he have already tried with lot of option I suggested him to repair MDAC

Were to give you more information on win2008 it uses wdac for same you can refer  link below which resolve you other query too on MDAC

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70963

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53595

ranley
Level 3

Hi everyone.

I uninstalled BE12.5 yesterday and installed a trial version of BackupExec 2010. I was able to create a new job and new selection lists, etc. Will consider purchasing BE 2010 now.

Any idea why this is? I'm glad it's working but disappointed that BE 12.5 failed. I suspect incompatibility with Sharepoint 2010, even though I reinstalled BE 12.5 without the Sharepoint agent option.

Kind regards,

Ranley

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Just out of curiosity, what OS was the problem occuring on?

v12.5 is supported as a media server on W2K8, but not W2K8 R2, which requires v2010

ranley
Level 3

It's W2K8 Server Enterprise. Been using BE12.5 on it successfully for the past year.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Was sharepoint 2010 installed on the same server as Backup Exec?  If it was this would explain where the problem came from as SharePoint 2010 isn't supported by 12.5.  Backup Exec could have been trying to enumerate the SharePoint install but running into problems.