cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec hardware encryption with HP Storageworks 1760 tape library

dce_support
Level 3

I have installed an HP Storageworks 1760 Tape library, and Backup exec 12 onto my backup server. The library itself is recognized, and I was able to perform some test backups and restores. We are trying to use hardware encryption for the unit, so I have installed and configured the HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 and MSL Encryption Kit on the tape library. Using the kit I created an encryption key and passphrase.

I then configured Hardware Encryption on the software itself. 

When I attempt to perform a backup I get the message:  No drives were found that support hardware encryption.

I have checked the hardware compatibility list, and the library ( 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader), and drive (StoragewWorks Ultrium 1760 LTO4) are both supported, and the drive is supported for T10 hardware encryption. 

I am wondering if I am missing a step somewhere in how I configured encryption. Is there someone out there who has had any experience setting up encryption using this drive?

Is there a decent reference for installation of encryption?

Thanks, 

Frank 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dce_support
Level 3

After speaking with HP and Symantec several times I have a solution to the problem. There are actually two things that needed to happen.

First, there were several hotfixes that needed to be applied to the software. They are the following:

Hot Fix 302980, Hot Fix 302981, Hot Fix 302982 ,Hot Fix 302418, Hot Fix 304179, Hot Fix 303324 
Hot Fix 304586, Hot Fix 303865 ,Hot Fix 17, Hot Fix 304662, Hot Fix 304389, Hot Fix 304964

Running Live update, pulled these and a few others down.

Secondly. Apparently the Backup Exec software handles the encrytion keys itself, and so it does not need the HP Encryption kit. In fact it will not work with it. Once the Encryption token was removed I was able to perform a hardware encrypted backup and restore without a problem. Hope this info helps anyone out there in the same boat.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
What is the current firmware version for your library?

dce_support
Level 3

Firmware on the autoloader is 2.30

Firmware on the tape drive is U26W.

dce_support
Level 3

After speaking with HP and Symantec several times I have a solution to the problem. There are actually two things that needed to happen.

First, there were several hotfixes that needed to be applied to the software. They are the following:

Hot Fix 302980, Hot Fix 302981, Hot Fix 302982 ,Hot Fix 302418, Hot Fix 304179, Hot Fix 303324 
Hot Fix 304586, Hot Fix 303865 ,Hot Fix 17, Hot Fix 304662, Hot Fix 304389, Hot Fix 304964

Running Live update, pulled these and a few others down.

Secondly. Apparently the Backup Exec software handles the encrytion keys itself, and so it does not need the HP Encryption kit. In fact it will not work with it. Once the Encryption token was removed I was able to perform a hardware encrypted backup and restore without a problem. Hope this info helps anyone out there in the same boat.

maqjack
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi! 

Even i have the same issue it is not backup the data with  NDMP Backup with encryption is not working

The tape library is connected through the FC to the EMC Celerra & the backup exec software is installed on the Windows 2008 Server.

As per the document it says that it supports for only devices with T10 HW Standards.

Can any on say the above mentioned deivce supports T10 HW Standard

I would appreciate if any ones help