cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec historic catalog information gone for restores

sysconstructors
Level 2

I recently had to restore a file from one of my LTO 6 tapes and found it only had one date to choose from to restore. There were at least 5 or 6 dates on each tape before. Also get an error when cataloging tape.Catalog 00027 -- The job failed with the following error: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

I rebooted everything but still doesn't work.

4 REPLIES 4

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

By default, the tape is filtered in restore selections. You should see "Show backups from DATE X to DATE X" change these values. By default it's only going to show you the last month.

You can also right-click the tape itself and choose restore. Again set the filter and it will show you everything on the tape.

I do have my dates set correctly. I have 2 jobs , one for file data and one for Microsoft Exchange. The Exchange restore shows me dates to choose from to restore. The file data only shows one date no matter how many successful backups I've done. I've tried inventory and catalog tape but still nothing. I've tried database maintenance. I guess I can try creating a new job but I have files to restore from successful backups. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated !

I created a new job and ran a backup. Turned around and tried a restore and that backup set was there so I could restore from it. Problem seems to be with job. At any rate, knowing that there are good backups on the tapes is there any way to restore those good backups when they don't show up for any selected dates on the restore ?

Well, if you don't see the sets when you right-click the tapes and choose restore, you could try a deep catalog. In the settings under catalog. There's an option to use storage based media catalogs. Uncheck that and run a Catalog job. Also turn on more detailed job logs in Backup Exec settings as well. When the catalog job runs, the job log will sow you what's exactly on the tape. It should match what's in restore selections. If the catalog job shows one thing and the restore selections another, contact support.