cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec job design duplicate jobs

windows-it
Level 3

Hi everyone,

In the last 10 years I used different Backup Exec Version up to BE 2010 R3. Now I am in a new Backup Project with Backup Exec 15 and I'm a bit shocked about the changes of the version form 2010R3 to 15...

What I need to do is simple:

I want to backup 20 virtual machines (virtual-based backup) to disk and then duplicate to tape with 3 different media sets (weekly, monthly, yearly). Do I really need to design 3 Backup Definitions for that? Because it seams that I can't define different duplicate jobs in one stage of the same Backup definition... The most stupid thing is, if I really need to define 3 backup definitions for that, I need to re-select the 20machines manually 3 times because it does not keep the vm selections if I select the option "Create a New Backup Using Settings from existing Backup".

How are you guys doing this?

Thanks for your advices!

Best regards,

BE.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

windows-it
Level 3

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your great answer. I now found out that it is possible to add multiple duplicate jobs parallel in one stage... Before your answer I thougth it is only possible to define them in series (one behind the other). I now defined the backups like this: 

BE2.JPG

Here the details for the weekly and monthly duplicate job:

BE3.JPG

BE4.JPG

You metioned: "the job with the lowest repeat frequency (longest interval between runnning)  will run and the others will be rescheduled"

I see this statement in the Backup to Disk Options window aswell. But does that apply to dupplicate jobs aswell? So in my case, only one duplicate to tape job would run on saturday 15:00?

Any other comments to my settings? Or do you think I designed it properly?

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can't define multiple Duplicate jobs in one stage, however you can have multiple Duplicate stages in one backup definition.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You can add as many duplicate stages as you want using the same backup job. These stages cab have different schedules and target media

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To try and answer with reference to your picture

1) The middle column in your picture needs to contains 3 jobs  for Weekly Monthly Yearly (or 4 is you want the Daily Incremental as well) and the way you get to this is click the edit button at the bottom of the middle column which will bring up the Backup Options with the schedule section showing. Delete the Incremental job template using the X on the right side of the incremental section (unless you need this for a daily) Then click the Add a Backup Job drop down to create two extra new full backup stages. You will then have 3 full jobs in your overall definition which you can separately adjust the schedules, storage sectings etc individually against (Click OK when happy and you can always edit further later anyway)

2) Back in the initial job definition screen at the bottom of the middle column (from your screenshot example again) you can click Add Stage to add 2 further duplicate jobs which should result in 3 duplicate jobs listed in the right hand column. You can then use the edit buttons within each duplicate job section in the right hand column  to adjust the schedules, what to duplicate and which storage settings to use

BTW there are no template rules if (as an example) your daily weekly and monthly are all set to start at 20:00 on the same Friday (and are in the same overall job definition)  then the job with the lowest repeat frequency (longest interval between runnning)  will run and the others will be rescheduled (as a hidden automatic rule) So Weekly conflict with Daily will result in Weekly running, Monthly conflict with either Daily or Weekly or both will result in Monthly running. If the start times are  still on the same  Friday but different times then they will all try to run.

windows-it
Level 3

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your great answer. I now found out that it is possible to add multiple duplicate jobs parallel in one stage... Before your answer I thougth it is only possible to define them in series (one behind the other). I now defined the backups like this: 

BE2.JPG

Here the details for the weekly and monthly duplicate job:

BE3.JPG

BE4.JPG

You metioned: "the job with the lowest repeat frequency (longest interval between runnning)  will run and the others will be rescheduled"

I see this statement in the Backup to Disk Options window aswell. But does that apply to dupplicate jobs aswell? So in my case, only one duplicate to tape job would run on saturday 15:00?

Any other comments to my settings? Or do you think I designed it properly?

Thanks for your help.

Moved:

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified