cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec keeps failing when trying to backup to Tape

Tyson1
Level 3

I am hoping someone can help me. We just replaced our LTO drive with a Quantum drive. Windows recognizes this drive fine. BE also shows the drive. Everytime I try to backup to this drive it keeps failing. I keep getting the E00084ED failure. I have looked over forums and tried option after option. I just can't figure out why it keeps failing. I tested on a small folder and it backed up fine. When I try to run our main backup, which backups up about 1TB of data, it fails. It gets to about 400MB then just fails. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help. I have removed the drive and reinstalled. I have been trying to get this working for about a week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

Steve-Young
Level 6
Employee

E00084ED  = A hardware error occurred.

Did you disable/remove the Tape Drive from the Backup Exec console before swapping it out?

If not you may want to disable/delete the tape drive and robotic library in the Backup Exec console and then restart the services.

Also check the Application AND System Log around the time of the job failure.  Look for hardware related events.

Make sure you have updated drivers/firmware for the Library/drive and SCSI/SAS controllers, etc.

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library (autoloader/changer) and/or Tape Drive(s)
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016050.html

Yes, I removed the drive from BE. I have actually done that a few times, as well as removed it from the devices in windows. Rebooted multiple times and each time it finds the drive and adds it back in. In the job log I see a event id of 11. The message is driver detected a contoller error on \device\raidport1. This was 2 days ago thou, I've been trying to backup since then. As for the driver, this quantum drive has the most current driver. I read somewhere that you can use BE to run tapeinst and make sure the Symantec tape drive is installed. When I ran this, it won't install it for this drive. Says that 'The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information'

Hmm, I just created a whole new backup job. I have been using the old one, from when we has the previous drive. The new job seems to going farther. I'll keep you posted.

Well it got to 2.8g this time, but failed again.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@Tyson1 wrote:

The message is driver detected a contoller error on \device\raidport1. 

I would suspect you are using a SAS connection?

What HBA are you using?  Make sure it is NOT a RAID HBA, unless it is one of the few RAID HBAs that support tape.  See https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100021088

@Tyson1 wrote:  I read somewhere that you can use BE to run tapeinst and make sure the Symantec tape drive is installed. When I ran this, it won't install it for this drive. Says that 'The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information'

I do not believe that Windows Server 2012 R2 is a supported operating system as a media server in Backup Exec 2012.

tapeinst is not compatible with Windows Server 2012.  There are some notes at the top of the BE 2014 HCL about this.  I suggest removing the Quantum tape driver and using the default Microsoft tape driver.

I would suggest upgrading your Backup Exec version to one that supports your operating system.

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, its a sas card. It's a LSI SAS2 2008 Falcon -Storport. I just updated the driver, because it was out of date. Just can't reboot yet because people are using this server. I'll reboot in about a hour and see if the driver update helped. About the tapeinst, yeah, I read that somewhere about it not supporting this. The tape drive has the most current windows driver attached to it. I thought about upgrading the BE, but this has worked fine for years. I don't understand how all of a sudden this version would no longer work. Other than changing the drive to a new drive, there has been nothing major done to the system. Same files and folders are set to backup. Just don't see the point in paying to upgrade to a new version, unless there is something specific that all of a sudden changed with this version that would make it not work. We have been on Windows 2012 r2 for about 4 years and the backup has worked fine with this version.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

So it sounds like you are using an unsupported RAID HBA on an unsupported opersating system.  I think you should be thankful that it worked at all for 4 years.  When things are unsupported, changing the tape drive and drivers can break things.

Sigh, it's looking that way. Talking with purchasing now. After talking with a few people, the previous sys admin had Server 2008 on this system when he was here. Which is why, I would assume, we loaded BE 2012. I upgraded this system to Windows 2012. I'll look into getting the BE 2016. Seems that version is compatible with 2012. Thanks for the help.