cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec kicks tape and requests "insert overwriteable media"

Jeffery_Smith
Not applicable

Hello,

First, I'm not very familiar with Backup Exec, and I realize this client has an older version.  They have it setup so that there is a MON, TUES, WED, THURS, and FRI cartridge.  They put the cartridge in around 6pm and the job runs at 23:00.  They are getting intermittent failures and some backups are spanning multiple days before they complete.  What I found from the log files is that the tape they put in at 6pm is quite often being kicked out as soon as the job starts with the message:

Backup Exec Alert: Media Insert
(Server: "SERVER1") (Job: "Nighty Backup") Please insert overwritable media into the backup-to-disk device.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Respond Yes to acknowledge.
Respond No to retry the operation.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

I confirmed that each cartridge has more than enough space to backup the whole server.  I went through the settings, but there are A LOT of options in this program.  I'm not sure which to adjust, and I really don't want to sit down with a good manual before I go to sleep because my daughter always has one of her books for me to read before bedtime. wink  Can some direct me to the right setting(s) so that when they put the Monday cartridge in on Monday night that it will backup to that cartridge?  This is a removable Hard Drive backup solution, so if you have any optimization tricks or such, that would be great too.  I was tempted to change the 4GB file limit to a larger number, but I'm unsure of the downsides/upsides to doing this.  FYI:

• Backup Exec 12.5 rev2213
  • Windows Server 2008 Standard
  • 4GB RAM
  • 1TB hard drive (only 30GB used)
  • DELL RD1000 (USB Removable hard drive system
  • Maimum size for backup-to-disk files=4GB
  • Allocate the maximum size for backup to disk files=disabled (SHOULD I ENABLE THIS???)
  • Maximum # of backup sets per backup to disk file =100

Hopefully that is all you will need for info.

Thanks,

Jeffery Smith

1 REPLY 1

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Start from media set configurations (Overwrite Protection Period and Append period). For 7 days retention, OPP of 6 days should be fine as the time taken to complete the backup will be added to defined period. Hence on 6th day media will not become overwritable by job start time and will definately be overwritable by 7th day.