cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec license question

Ifti_Bashir
Level 4
I have 3 separate retail packs of Backup Exec 10d. The servers these were installed one have been removed from the network and are no longer in use. They have been completely retired and the HDDs have been removed and will shortly be wiped and cleaned. Although I didn't uninstall Backup Exec from these servers, will I be able to use my 3 licenses on new servers, since the old are no longer in use, or should I have uninstalled the previous instances on the old servers first??
10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You may use the license on the new server since the old ones are not used.

NO need to uninstall BE from the old ones.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Just a reminder -

v10d doesn't support anything past W2K3/WinXP

When you plan an upgrade for any of your servers,  be sure to include the cost of a new version of Backup Exec

Ifti_Bashir
Level 4
Ok, will check the exact versions when I get back not work tomorrow. I'm sure I have 10d, and possibly higher as well.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have a current maintenance contract, then you are entitled to a free upgrade to the latest version which is BE 2010 R3.

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

As mentioned above, you can transfer the licenses to another server? But maybe it's advised to look into the software compatibility list for Backup Exec 10d. If i was in your case, i'd look into implementing the newer version. If you still have your maintenance contract, you'll get these licenses for "free".

Lively
Level 5

To add onto this.  You can install the new version on the server as a trial and will need to contact licensing to get the new keys generated.  The trial is 60 or 90 days, so you will have some time to take care of it.

Ifti_Bashir
Level 4
Ok, I have versions 10d and 12.5 - what's the difference between the two? Can I simply install them onto new servers (running server 2003) with the license codes that came in the box originally, or do I need to do anything more? How do I check to see if I have any maintenance contract valid? Thanks.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

10d is a older version of BE which is no more supported by Symantec.

BE12.5 is not the latest but its most stable version of BE.(latest version is BE2010R3)

You can install the license keys which where provided, for more info on maintenance you

may contact the sales team or the licensing team.

Ifti_Bashir
Level 4
So 12.5 is the most current and can be used on win2008 server etc, while 10d can be used on win2003 and downwards, with no further support?