cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec log files 38GB

resolver101
Level 4

We've had an issue with our server due to lack of free space.  We've examined the contents of the drive and "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\" is taking up 38GB of space.  Can you tell me why it would take up this much space please? More importantly how do i cap it at say 10GB? 

We are using Backup Exec 2010 R3 on a windows 2007 sbs server.  All our backups are backup to disk folders on removable drives and we backup also backup exchange and SQL.

Thanks, your help is appreciated

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It seems that the debugging is left ON from the registry which means it continuously is keeping all the activities logged. To stop the debugging perform the following:

1) Goto Registry Editor

2) Browse HKLM | Software | Symantec | Backup Exec for Windows | Backup Exec | Engine | Logging

3) Here you will see Dword named as "CreateDebugLog"

4) Change the value of this Dword to ' 0 '

5) Close the Registry Editor

Now go to "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\" and delete all the files which are in format "servername-beremotexx.log" and "servername-benginexx.log"

Also there is no setting where you can set the cap for logging space to any value.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is Backup Exec configured to keep audit logs for so long?

Check the same from Database Maintenance options, delete aged data, Audit logs... 

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It seems that the debugging is left ON from the registry which means it continuously is keeping all the activities logged. To stop the debugging perform the following:

1) Goto Registry Editor

2) Browse HKLM | Software | Symantec | Backup Exec for Windows | Backup Exec | Engine | Logging

3) Here you will see Dword named as "CreateDebugLog"

4) Change the value of this Dword to ' 0 '

5) Close the Registry Editor

Now go to "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\" and delete all the files which are in format "servername-beremotexx.log" and "servername-benginexx.log"

Also there is no setting where you can set the cap for logging space to any value.

Thanks,

-Sush...

resolver101
Level 4

I've switched reg setting to 0 and deleted the "servername-beremotexx.log" and "servername-benginexx.log".  Alls good.  Thanks! 

Thank you all

I already changed the registry to 0 or even delete the key and reboot the server, but when start the BE agent on this server after some times again the logs get created.

We habe 2 Media servers one BE15 and BE 20 and both are not set for debuging.

Any suggestion?